New Tank

Discussion in 'Water Parameters' started by timon4, Apr 3, 2010.

1. timon4

timon4 New Member Member

I have a new 75 gallon saltwater aquarium I literally set up a week ago, I put 30 pounds of white sand and 20 gallons of Live sand, I have two hang on filters and a heater. I tested my PH, NO2, NO3, Salenity, everything. And all test come back perfect. But its only been up for 8 days now. I expected everything to start high and work its way down as it cycles, but it stays 0 all the time. Any ideas?

2. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

well.... I don't do saltwater tanks but the thing that seems to be missing from the equation for the cycle in general is ammonia source. I know that in live rock the die off can sometimes be your source but I don't know if the same goes with live sand.

did you add any sort of ammonia source? or does the die off from the sand fuel it?

3. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Did you add a source of ammonia? Ammonia doesn't just appear by itself. You need to either add a dead fish or prawn, fish food, or pure ammonia to create the ammonia that sustains the nitrifying bacteria. This page tells about how to fishlessly cycle an aquarium:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

It's also in my signature :)

EDIT: Angelfish220: :;nin2

4. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

Have you checked ammonia yet? Did you add any LR? how deep is you sand bed?

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Timon,

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the More Saltwater Aquarium Topics/ Water Parameters section of the forum. It may help you to get more responses.
    Thanks and best of luck!
    Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice