new tank

garybuk

Reaction score
Well i got my self a new tank but need some help one what to do i currtley have a juwel tank witch is 40L but my new tank is 110L and i wana move on now i wana go with real pants but not sure what ones to go for and what gravel i need, thort about coral plants but dont no how they grow or what they need. i only have two angle fish at the mo duno what other fish im getting yet but sticking with them two for defo. just need you help really any help will be very greatfull tanks in advanced gary

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well your asking a whole lot of questions. Basically since you haven't done plant before regular 1-3cm gravel will be sufficent. I would get your new tank cycled then move your angels into it. You can use some of your filter media from your old tank to jump start the cycle in your new tank. Make sure you have a good enough filter. Look at plantgeek.net for low light plants some include:
hornwort
anubias
java fern
java moss
crypts
anarchis

There are a lot of others

Congratulaions on the new tank

p.s. can you use a spell check next time to catch the spelling errors so it's easier to understand, thanks

garybuk

Reaction score
hi sorry about the spell check I'm still getting used to the web site, will and gravel be ok? what fish would you recommend to put in with the angle fish because I'm trying to breed them as well um sorry for all the question but I'm trying learn and iv done a **** of allot of reading. just one more thing freshwater thats the same as tropical right??

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok sure no problem, I had the same problem when I started, I used aim/texting lingo and I didn't realize the problem.

1. regular gravel is fine
2. breeding angels, do you have a mated pair now?
3. You can put a lot of fish with angels, it's a lot up to you, find a fish you'd like then research it and if you have any questions ask here. There's too many to list
4. No freshwater means all freshwater fish including goldfish, tropical means pretty much most fish, some people include marine fish in that category.

Hope I'v helped, if you have any questions on breeding and raising the fry ask Isabella, my angels just breed and I don't do anything though I don't raise them

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Garybuk, if you've never had a planted tank before, I suggest you start the easy and simple way. This is means with a low-light / low-tech tank that has only low-light plants. As you gain more experience, you may switch to something more sophisticated in the future.

The best low-light plants are Java Moss, Java Fern, and Anubias. There plants don't need gravel either - they're tied to aquarium decor with a black cotton thread or with a fishing line. So you wouldn't need a lot of gravel, nor any nutrient-rich gravel. Just your plain gravel you like best.

Now, the lighting. It would be best for you to have at least 1.0 watts per gallon of lighting for such a tank, but not more than 1.5 wpg. The bulbs come in different wattages and Kelvins (K denote the color of the light's spectrum). The spectrum that is best for a planted tank is the one between 6,700K and 10,000K (there are also bulbs below 6,700K but they are very yellow - unless you like that). I personally have the 6,700K bulbs and they make my tanks look great - they give you a very natural illumination, like that of the Sun. They're also GREAT for plant growth. A spectrum of 10,000K is a bit bluish, and if it has blue color in it, it may cause algae. So it's best to stay away from it, and certainly do not go over 10,000K as anything above 10,000 is very likely to cause algae (very blue light).

A 40 L tank is about a 10 gallon tank. So if you get a 15W standard bulb (with a spectrum of 6,700K for example), it will be just fine for your planted tank with the low-light plants I just mentioned above.

garybuk

Reaction score
atmmachine said:
Ok sure no problem, I had the same problem when I started, I used aim/texting lingo and I didn't realize the problem.

1. regular gravel is fine
2. breeding angels, do you have a mated pair now?
3. You can put a lot of fish with angels, it's a lot up to you, find a fish you'd like then research it and if you have any questions ask here.  There's too many to list
4. No freshwater means all freshwater fish including goldfish, tropical means pretty much most fish, some people include marine fish in that category.

Hope I'v helped, if you have any questions on breeding and raising the fry ask Isabella, my angels just breed and I don't do anything though I don't raise them
Thank you for the help yes i do have a mated pair they all ready have had one lot of eggs but eat them so will leave them to it just didn't want other fish to stop them from laying eggs thank you for your help again

garybuk

Reaction score
Isabella said:
Garybuk, if you've never had a planted tank before, I suggest you start the easy and simple way. This is means with a low-light / low-tech tank that has only low-light plants. As you gain more experience, you may switch to something more sophisticated in the future.

The best low-light plants are Java Moss, Java Fern, and Anubias. There plants don't need gravel either - they're tied to aquarium decor with a black cotton thread or with a fishing line. So you wouldn't need a lot of gravel, nor any nutrient-rich gravel. Just your plain gravel you like best.

Now, the lighting. It would be best for you to have at least 1.0 watts per gallon of lighting for such a tank, but not more than 1.5 wpg. The bulbs come in different wattages and Kelvins (K denote the color of the light's spectrum). The spectrum that is best for a planted tank is the one between 6,700K and 10,000K (there are also bulbs below 6,700K but they are very yellow - unless you like that). I personally have the 6,700K bulbs and they make my tanks look great - they give you a very natural illumination, like that of the Sun. They're also GREAT for plant growth. A spectrum of 10,000K is a bit bluish, and if it has blue color in it, it may cause algae. So it's best to stay away from it, and certainly do not go over 10,000K as anything above 10,000 is very likely to cause algae (very blue light).

A 40 L tank is about a 10 gallon tank. So if you get a 15W standard bulb (with a spectrum of 6,700K for example), it will be just fine for your planted tank with the low-light plants I just mentioned above.
ahh thanks, I'm trying to get the best natural look out of this fish tank ,i will go and have a look at some of the bulbs see if i can find any. about filtering iv been taken to extrel and this one Ultra-jet ?? do you know if its any good? thanks again for the help its really good that people like you two and others on hear and so helpfull and that i hope i can learn from hear and my mistakes and be able to help others out too.

garybuk

Reaction score
Isabella said:
Now, the lighting.
now that confusing i just had a look around but i think in the UK (Ware I'm from) its diffrent watts and everythink i couldn't find any sort of bulbs like you said :S mine has to be like 36" long so a fluorescent bulb (tube)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom