New Tank!!

1. zeeter Well Known Member Member

My First Tank Project

I bought a 75gl tank last night and am picking it up in a little while. The ultimate goal is to have a reef tank, but I'll be starting out FOWLR. So I have a few questions.

What size pump should I get? How many gph for a 75 gallon tank assuming I don't get any special needs fish? I've heard 6-10x gallons, 8-12x, and a couple of other theories.

Second, I read somewhere that the total gph doesn't have to come from the main water pump. That I can have, say, 600 gph from the main pump and use power heads to make up around 300 more gph.

Thoughts?

edit: funny how you think of the next question just as you are hitting "submit".

Third question: This is a used tank with some salt creep. Is dish soap and fresh water, rinsed thoroughly, ok for cleaning? It's a glass tank, if that makes a difference. I plan on cleaning it and then doing a leak test overnight.

2. platyfish Member Member

i would stay away from soaps! Even if there is a little residue left, it can get soapy!

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

congrats on the new tank!!!!!! im sure our salty members will be along to help more

I agree with platyfish...NO soap whatsoever ..use vinegar and hot water and rinse really well after

4. zeeter Well Known Member Member

Here are some pictures of my new (used) tank. Note the salt creep on the overflow. It seems impossible to remove. I've tried vinegar and water, but had no luck. I even used a putty knife to try to scrape it off. Still: no luck other than a couple of chunks falling off.

If I can't get rid of it (I heard that sometimes long-term salt creep is impossible to remove), what are some suggestions for concealing it?

Attached Files:

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Zetter. There is a good chance that once the tank has been set up and running for a while, it may be even easier to remove the salt build up on your over flow. Don't panic if you can't remove it. A plant in front of it will help to hide it. Oh, congrats on the new tank! Have you tried using a razor blade (children be careful here) to remove the salt build up?

I do panic when I hear the words SOAP and aquarium in the same sentence. Soap has no place in the aquarium hobby period. I freak if a bar of soap or soap bottle is even near my fish room.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Ken

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks more like dead coralline algae to me than salt creep.

If you get a paper towel wet with vinegar and lay it on the area you want to clean for half an hour or so, it will dissolve old coralline algae and make it very easy to remove. A razor blade will scratch up your overflow.

Really, it won't matter for long once you set the tank up. Eventually it will all be covered with coralline again. :)

7. zeeter Well Known Member Member

Hmm that's interesting. And I'm reading that corraline isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'll try the vinegar thing first, then just let it sit. Thanks

Good news: no leaks! Bad news: pain in the rear to empty.

edit: additional information

As you can see from the pictures I have a 75gl tank with overflow. I went to the store last night and was going to buy a wet/dry, but the guy talked me out of it. He said that the way my tank is set up I just need to put a 20 or 30 gallon tank underneath and run the water through it. Ideally I should put some live sand and live rock in there, plus my protein skimmer.

I had never heard of this. Every system I've seen shows the bio-balls and several chambers in the sump. However, I did read that live sand/rock is a very good bio-filter by itself. I was reluctant to buy a huge amount of live rock to start because of the price, but if this setup will work I can use the $250 that I was going to spend on the filter kit, buy the tank and pump, then I will have extra money left over to buy more rock.

He suggested that once I get my feet wet I can build my own hi-tech filtration sump at a fraction of the cost of buying a one-size-fits-all-situations pre-made one.

Has anyone tried this method? Yes, I'm a newbie and if I'm using the wrong terminology please let me know.

8. ATP Well Known Member Member

I made a sump for my 125 gallon tank using a 75 gallon tank from petco. I bought acrylic (should of used glass) sheets and cut them up 1 or 2 cm. lesser than the width of the tank. (acrylic will expand when heated so you don't want your glass tank to explode)

I then made a section for the protein skimmer (first section) and after the skimmer will be the fuge. (Live Rock, Live sand, and macro algae) and the final section is the return pump.

ATP,
    Thanks

9. zeeter Well Known Member Member

Hmm...that's interesting. I'm not separating the sections. Later on I might get a 30 gallon tank and use that as the sump, separating the chambers accordingly. Eventually, depending on how much I like this kind of thing I might have a couple other specialty tanks. One for more dangerous critters, and a seahorse tank - though I heard those were difficult.

Just purchased:
    Some miscellaneous PVC fittings, pipe, and cement
    2 heaters (heard it was better than just getting one - I think I impressed the guy that I suggested that. A moment of pride within an overwhelming period of indecision!)
    Master Test Kit (pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite)
    Pondmaster Magnetic Drive Utility Pump (Model 9.5, 950 GPH)
    Thermometer
    Hydrometer
    DrTim's NaH2O-Pure
    20 Gallon Tank
    60 lbs of Live Sand (CaribSea Live Sand)
    150 Gallon Salt Mix

Ugh! Cost a fortune. And I still need to get live rock and lighting. Oh, and I may one day want to add some fish. Someone told me that aquariums can hold them along with the hundreds of dollars of equipment.

Later that night...

I have the tank filled. Specific gravity is off because the temperature is low. Otherwise, I guess I'm doing ok. The sump tank is a little over half full. I have the pump in it and two heaters.

One thing I'm worried about is that I'm getting a lot of air through the overflow. Not sure what that's about, but it is worrying me enough that I'm thinking of turning the pump off when I go to bed tonight. Water is staying at a steady level, so maybe it's nothing.

I turned the pump off and watched as the water dropped below the return jets. Seems like I won't have any overflow from a power loss. Just worried about airlock now.