New tank Question

1. Fishnugget43 Member Member

Hey All merry Christmas. I just got some new Gravel for my new 50g tank and was wondering what is the best way you've found to clean it all off. on top of that How much gravel should i have for a 50g tank?

2. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

How much gravel you need depends on wether or not you want to have live plants in the tank & what the actual footprint of the tank is as well as the diameter of the gravel you intend to use. Large grains fill more space, little grains compact together more so you need slightly more of it. If you give the aquarium dimensions, then it's fairly easy to work out. For a standard dimension 50gal with no plants I would go for about 30-50kgs of gravel to get a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch layer. For a planted 50gal I owuld go somewhere between 45-60kgs to get 2 1/2 to 3 inches deep.

Cleaning is simple. You can either buy a commercially made gravel vaccuum or make your own. All you need is a length of hose, say 5-6ft & a small soft drink or juice bottle. Cut the bottom off the bottle & then attach the neck of the bottle to the hose. Use it as a siphon with the bottle end in the tank to sift through the gravel & suck up any rubbish. Just let it flow into a bucket or make the hose long enough to go out into your garden or out a window.

3. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I just used a cheap pasta strainer. I filled it about half-way than washed it in the bathtub using my hands to move the pea gravel around. Worked like a charm, my tank didn't have any clouding at all.

4. stanman Initiate Member

I use a 5 gallon bucket,fill it with gravel,l and let the hose run in it while agitating the gravel. Do that until the water runs clear.

5. Fishnugget43 Member Member

Ok thanks. Any idea how strong of a light source i need? I will not be using live plants. Thanks!!

6. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I thought you meant cleaning the gravel after it was installed! Silly me. I use the strainer method Mosin360 mentioned for gravel & the bucket method Stanman mentioned for sand. If your not going to have live plants then you only need enough light to view your fish so you can choose what ever lighting source you can afford & find visually appealing.

7. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

If you don't plan live plants any light source you want will work. The standard hood/light's are fine. If you want to add live plants in the future you would need to upgrade.

8. Fishnugget43 Member Member

Ok, Thanks everyone!!