New Tank!! Help

1. Fishnugget43 Member Member

I just got a free used 55 gallon tank, problem is its pretty dirty and I dont have any other equpment it needs. So I was hoping some one could give me some advice about getting the right products for it and any tips on cleaning it. Im so excited for this..... It might be even bigger though because it seems a little larger than other 55 gallons i've seen but I might be imagining it...

Any other advice be much appreciated!

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

1 part water to 4 parts bleach will clean it right out. Just make sure to RINSE RINSE RINSE afterwards.
    A 100w heater would work for a 55, the filter you need depends on what fish you want to keep. I recommend Canister FIlters, as they work so much better than HOB's.
    Plug the dimensions into the Tank Size Calculator to see what size you have. :)

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Vinegar, water, and "elbow grease" works wonders.

Unfortunately, the lights are fairly expensive, but if you just need it covered, the glass tops are much less expensive. You can always get the lights later on.

Anytime I buy anything for my tanks, I check Petsmart, Petco, Big Als, and Kensfish.com for deals. There are a lot of sales going on at the moment.

I'm sure other members will be along shortly with more advice as well.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great advice from others!!!!!!!!!
    how far in maine are you? I have a ton of different things you could have...a heater, filter to get you going and a ton of different subtrates and decorations...congrats!!!!!!!

5. Llama Well Known Member Member