New Tank!

GuppyOverlord11
So, I started cycling this tank a while ago, and I just got the API freshwater master test kit thingy. I tested my water, And this is what I got:

IMG_2654.JPG

Can I start adding fish?
It is a 10 gallon tank and I will be using it for guppy fry. It has some water from established tanks, decor from established tanks, and old filter media.
Thanks so Much!

mattgirl
GuppyOverlord11 said:
So, I started cycling this tank a while ago, and I just got the API freshwater master test kit thingy. I tested my water, And this is what I got:

IMG_2654.JPG

Can I start adding fish?
It is a 10 gallon tank and I will be using it for guppy fry. It has some water from established tanks, decor from established tanks, and old filter media.
Thanks so Much!
Before I can say yes I will have to ask some questions. You say you started this tank a while ago. How long is a while? Moving decor and filter media will have seeded this tank with bacteria. During the time you transferred the bacteria and now what was your ammonia source in this tank?

GuppyOverlord11
StarGirl
How did you do the Nitrate test? It is pretty yellow for using establish media in your tank. What is the high pH test reading? The low is tapped out.

mattgirl
GuppyOverlord11 said:
April 20, I used fish flakes.
Seeing no nitrates is my main concern. If the bacteria was being fed I would have expected to see some. Since you just got your test kit I have to ask if you are following the directions for that test to a tee. There are some extra steps that must be taken to get a true nitrate reading. Since this is a new kit the sediment in the bottom of bottle #2 has to be broken loose and mixed really well. Bang it against a hard surface. You aren't going to shake the bottle too long but if not enough and you won't get an accurate reading.

StarGirl
mattgirl said:
Seeing no nitrates is my main concern. If the bacteria was being fed I would have expected to see some. Since you just got your test kit I have to ask if you are following the directions for that test to a tee. There are some extra steps that must be taken to get a true nitrate reading. Since this is a new kit the sediment in the bottom of bottle #2 has to be broken loose and mixed really well. Bang it against a hard surface. You aren't going to shake the bottle too long but not enough and you won't et an accurate reading.
Jinks! ;)

GuppyOverlord11
Oh, that makes sense. I will get the new readings ASAP

mattgirl
StarGirl said:
I tend to be more wordy so takes me longer to say the same thing :D

GuppyOverlord11
Ok, retested it with high range PH and shook up the Nitrate Test bottles real good. Is my tank cycled? I know the other stuff is good but it's the Nitrates I'm confused about. I added old water, an old filter cartridge, and 2 pieces of decor from old tanks.

IMG_2655.JPG

mattgirl
GuppyOverlord11 said:
Ok, retested it with high range PH and shook up the Nitrate Test bottles real good. Is my tank cycled? I know the other stuff is good but it's the Nitrates I'm confused about. I added old water, an old filter cartridge, and 2 pieces of decor from old tanks.

IMG_2655.JPG
Since your ammonia source was fish food there may not have been a great deal of ammonia processed. The more ammonia the more nitrates. Since you added the seeded media and decor I would have also added fish for the ammonia source.

That is what I would go ahead and do at this point.

GuppyOverlord11
OK, so like I'm done, or like start a fish in cycle?

mattgirl
GuppyOverlord11 said:
OK, so like I'm done, or like start a fish in cycle?
It is not actually a fish in cycle. This tank is cycled meaning it has ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria. That is all a cycle really is. You moved this bacteria over from a cycled tank.

Once you move your guppy fry over to this tank just keep an eye on the ammonia level. I don't expect seeing one but it is best to keep a close eye on it. Since this is going to be a grow out tank water changes will need to be done to keep the growth hormones diluted.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom