New Tank???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JLeeM, Apr 16, 2018.

1. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Hello.

Don't know if I used the right area to post this but, does this look like a good deal?

I was just messing around on Craigslist, and stumbled across it. It's not too far away from me either. Sounds like it's actually a standard 55 gallon too. Not a 50.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Why not?

3. Jabberwock

JabberwockValued MemberMember

I would buy a new one. It is cheap, but you are buying someone else's problems, and dirt...

4. B1GD4DDY

B1GD4DDYValued MemberMember

Looks like a great deal to me. Just clean it and re-seal it.

5. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

So you think I should do it?

Really? Lots of people buy used tanks. New ones are expensive.

So, re sealing would be a must?

6. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

It's an incredible price. Just make sure that it doesn't leak. Ask if it was stored outside or in an unheated garage or outbuilding. Extremes temperatures can cause the silicone to give way. I just don't bother with those after some bad experiences.

Be sure to spray it well inside and out with 70% rubbing alcohol to kill all bacteria and germs ;)

7. 75g Discus Tank

I would go to the person and see if you can barter the price down to $15.

Also, see if it can hold water, has any scratches, and see if you can get any other aquarium stuff in the bundle.

8. B1GD4DDY

B1GD4DDYValued MemberMember

My understanding is, the silicone should be redone every 10 years. Since you won't know hold old this silicone is, even if it does hold water, you won't know for how long. You could probably get away without re-sealing it, but it is better to be safe, then sorry...

9. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

What would I then clean the alcohol out with?

I think it said they got it from a neighbor. So they might not know how long or where it's been stored.

I'm supposed to go check it out tomorrow after work. How should I go about asking if if holds water or getting the price even lower? I don't want to be "that jerk". Lol. It'd be nice if they had other aquarium stuff, but from the way the listing sounds I highly doubt it.

10. 75g Discus Tank

Ask the person to fill the tank up right on the spot to show that it holds water.

11. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

After spraying it with rubbing alcohol, you can let it drip dry or rinse with water after about 10 minutes.

12. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Well, unfortunately the person sold it out from under me. I had it set up to meet them at their place right about now, but they texted me and were like the tank has sold darling I'm sorry thank you. Not going to lie, I'm pretty aggravated.

13. Jabberwock

JabberwockValued MemberMember

The easiest decisions in life are made for you...

14. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Very very true. Especially this time around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice