New Tank!!! - Page 3

Culprit

Member
Awwww they're so cute! Doesn't look too bad, I'd say its normal. I usually get green/brown algae weekly on the glass.

Nope flow is good. Think how hard they'd be working in the wild.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Culprit said:
Awwww they're so cute! Doesn't look too bad, I'd say its normal. I usually get green/brown algae weekly on the glass.

Nope flow is good. Think how hard they'd be working in the wild.
Ok, good to know. I will be changing out that powerhead though. After reading your thread I really think they would be happier with one that is not just always on and rather something like the SW-2 or 4. THat way I get a bit of a wave action which I do not currently get.
 

Culprit

Member
Probably. In nature flow isn't circular, its either turbulent or back and forth. I love my SW-2, but I do wish I'd got the 4 sometimes. I don't have the 2 all the way up, but its close. Also, for more turbulent flow, have you thought about getting a RFG (random flow generator)? Nart and @Soulpatch I think have them, and love them. Nanologist might have them too... can't remeber there's too many awesome tanks these days!
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Culprit said:
Probably. In nature flow isn't circular, its either turbulent or back and forth. I love my SW-2, but I do wish I'd got the 4 sometimes. I don't have the 2 all the way up, but its close. Also, for more turbulent flow, have you thought about getting a RFG (random flow generator)? Nart and @Soulpatch I think have them, and love them. Nanologist might have them too... can't remeber there's too many awesome tanks these days!
So I added the SW-4 and the SW-8 to my wish list in Amazon.
 

thesoulpatch

Member
I have the 2 and 4, my 2 is in my 10 gal frag tank and it's halfway up and moves all the water. My 4 is in the 40 gal and it's on the 3rd or 4th setting and it stirs up my heavy granular sand. So they are beast!
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
S0 I got my SW-8 in yesterday. Not really sure the best setting and location for it in my 28G Nano cube. Any suggestions? Pictures show current location and settings. I will say that if you turn it up by accident it blows sand all over the place... Tank is cloudy by the way because I fed them shortly before taking the picture.
 

Culprit

Member
Not really sure, I'd think on the back wall may be best but that might not be easy. grantm91 where do you keep yours?

I'd think for a cube tank the random mode would be best, so you get lots of random flow, not a constant in a circle flow.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Culprit said:
Not really sure, I'd think on the back wall may be best but that might not be easy. grantm91 where do you keep yours?

I'd think for a cube tank the random mode would be best, so you get lots of random flow, not a constant in a circle flow.
Back wall is tricky because that is the overflow, but I could angle the head toward the middle front of the tank and try the random mode. Is there a way to set the random to prevent it from bursting to full power, this thing can stir up the sand real quick on high.
 

Culprit

Member
I think so, I think you use the knob to set a max flow rate.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Culprit said:
I think so, I think you use the knob to set a max flow rate.
Thanks, I will try it out.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Got it set up on random mode, we will see how it goes.
 

thesoulpatch

Member
Yeah I have my sw-8 in my 40 and it stirs up the sand pretty crazy as well, so I can't even begin to think how much it does in the smaller tanks...
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
So looking into anemones, the LFS has a nice looking purple long tip and some Sebaes. Which one do you think would be best for my clowns and still allow me to have some corals.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Picked up a royal gramma last week! He is really nice looking but still hiding a lot. I hope he comes out eventually. Also picked up my first corals. I know I said I wanted to wait till the 3 month mark but the LFS had a leather coral with neon green tentacles I could not pass up. And they had a really nice neon green candy cane. I will add pictures here once they are in the tank and have opend up.
 

Culprit

Member
Gundy1024 said:
Picked up a royal gramma last week! He is really nice looking but still hiding a lot. I hope he comes out eventually. Also picked up my first corals. I know I said I wanted to wait till the 3 month mark but the LFS had a leather coral with neon green tentacles I could not pass up. And they had a really nice neon green candy cane. I will add pictures here once they are in the tank and have opend up.
Love royal grammas. From what I've seen they are pretty secretive but once they get used to the tank they're out a lot.

First corals!! yay! love those leather coral with green tentacles. Candy canes are great too. Candy Canes will love being fed, and grow a lot faser
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Culprit said:
Love royal grammas. From what I've seen they are pretty secretive but once they get used to the tank they're out a lot.

First corals!! yay! love those leather coral with green tentacles. Candy canes are great too. Candy Canes will love being fed, and grow a lot faser
The leather has started to open up already, so cool!
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Gundy1024 said:
The leather has started to open up already, so cool!
Here are the two corals.
 

Culprit

Member
That leatehr is super cool, think it may be a Japanese toadstool! Looks like a nice big frag of candy canes, they'll open up a lot more.
 

stella1979

Member
Love, love, love the toadstool leather! I rarely see those guys in stores, and only once from my favorite online seller. Even then, I've never seen that neon green in person. Congrats on a really cool find.

Agreed on the tumpet/candy cane too. It'll open a lot more for you after some time and will grow faster with regular feedings. I've read that they can handle pretty moderate flow as well, and this will also lead to faster growth because the flow encourages splitting. I've found this to be true in my own tank... I think. My trumpet didn't do much for several months but started to show signs of splitting within weeks of moving it to a spot with higher flow. This is not to say that I recommend very high flow.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
stella1979 said:
Love, love, love the toadstool leather! I rarely see those guys in stores, and only once from my favorite online seller. Even then, I've never seen that neon green in person. Congrats on a really cool find.

Agreed on the tumpet/candy cane too. It'll open a lot more for you after some time and will grow faster with regular feedings. I've read that they can handle pretty moderate flow as well, and this will also lead to faster growth because the flow encourages splitting. I've found this to be true in my own tank... I think. My trumpet didn't do much for several months but started to show signs of splitting within weeks of moving it to a spot with higher flow. This is not to say that I recommend very high flow.
That does bring up a good question. I have this 28G JBJ Nano cube and am wondering what the best placement for these corals would be. I am not really good at figuring out what high/low flow or light is considered.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
stella1979 said:
Love, love, love the toadstool leather! I rarely see those guys in stores, and only once from my favorite online seller. Even then, I've never seen that neon green in person. Congrats on a really cool find.

Agreed on the tumpet/candy cane too. It'll open a lot more for you after some time and will grow faster with regular feedings. I've read that they can handle pretty moderate flow as well, and this will also lead to faster growth because the flow encourages splitting. I've found this to be true in my own tank... I think. My trumpet didn't do much for several months but started to show signs of splitting within weeks of moving it to a spot with higher flow. This is not to say that I recommend very high flow.
Also, if this toadstool does well and you all are able to teach me how to frag it I am sure you and I can come to a trade agreement so you are able to have some.
 

Culprit

Member
Gundy1024 said:
That does bring up a good question. I have this 28G JBJ Nano cube and am wondering what the best placement for these corals would be. I am not really good at figuring out what high/low flow or light is considered.
Hey this is a JBJ 28 g? I'm getting a JBJ 24 g today! Cool!

Do you still have stock lighting? You got a jebao sw-2 right? Really finding those spots is trial and error. I have my candy cane high, they like lots of light as they get more colorful. I'd say medium flow and medium/high light.

Toadstool I veliebe they like low flow and low light.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Culprit said:
Hey this is a JBJ 28 g? I'm getting a JBJ 24 g today! Cool!

Do you still have stock lighting? You got a jebao sw-2 right? Really finding those spots is trial and error. I have my candy cane high, they like lots of light as they get more colorful. I'd say medium flow and medium/high light.

Toadstool I veliebe they like low flow and low light.
I do still have the stock lighting but not the newer fancy Wi-FI light. I would like to upgrade to that good because it has better color but the price is way too high.

The pump in there is actually the SW-8. It is way overkill for the tank and I have to keep it turned mostly down because otherwise it will blow the sand all over the place.
 

Culprit

Member
In that case I'd place the candy cane as close to the top as you can. Toadstool should be good to go on the middle or bottom.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Well came home to a real bummer. My Royal Gramma died today. No clue what could have caused this. I do not see any signs of illness on him.
Going to take his body to the LFS to see if they can tell me anything,
 

stella1979

Member
Aww, sorry to hear. You haven't had him long though, so it's likely that he didn't acclimate well, or was not the healthiest when you got him. I think we have to remember that these guys are put through a lot before they ever get to us. It's unfortunate but true. Is it at all possible for you to set up a qt? If so, they are well worth it, and you might want to look into the prophylactic treatment of new fish. Not everyone will agree with this, but myself and many others have had enough bad luck with new fish that we have decided to do basic treatment for common issues in QT before introduction to the reef tank.

There have also been some horror stories lately on the difficulty in treating common parasites in tanks with corals and/or inverts. There are very few medications that are safe for corals and inverts, and this means that fish with something as common as ich need to be moved for treatment. Moving is of course stressful on fish. Perhaps worse, the reef tank needs to be fishless, or fallow, for 76 days to fully ensure that the parasite has died out. It's no fun, but the best way to ensure that the tank and fish don't go through a vicious cycle that will likely kill fish eventually.

I don't mean to be the QT police or to insinuate that you are even dealing with a parasite, but once you start putting corals in a tank, it is well worth the time and effort to keep it disease free. It is so much easier than dealing with disease in a reef tank.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Just got back from the LFS. They looked over the body and could not find anything obvious other that it looks like the poor guy had been picked on by some one. Not sure if that was done before he died or after though. Only other tank mates are 2 Black Clowns, a Tangaroa Goby, a Fire Red Shrimp, and 2 Peppermint Shrimp. They did mention though that the other one that they got in with that shipment died over night there as well. I can maybe guess that they did not make the trip well and that may have been the ultimate cause. I drip acclimate so I feel like I did what I could to make sure his transition into my tank was as stress free as possible.

I do not have a QT tank for saltwater, I may have to look into that. But it is hard to go that route since I only have this one small saltwater tank and I only intend on having the 4 total fish in it. I am just going to not replace him for the time be and make sure the other three fish are doing well. I will think about a new tank mate next month if everyone is still happy and healthy.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
On a different note. I have these corals in here that I added yesterday. I need to know what you all think about the flow they are getting too much or not enough? I know that the poor little clowns seem to fight the current, but I figure it will be easier on them as they grow. I had to load the video to Imgur so here is the link.

 

stella1979

Member
Both of the corals look pretty happy. I can't speak for toadstools because I haven't really learned much about them, but I am sure it would let you know if it's unhappy with the flow it's getting. Unhappy corals will not extend as pretty as what I'm seeing in your tank video. I think they look pretty great, especially for corals that were just added yesterday.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Cool! I still need to glue down the Candy Cane, just wanted to make sure it was happy before I did. Thanks!
 

stella1979

Member
I also just want to say that I'm sorry that you were left hanging with a lot of questions here. I read back a bit and feel bad that we weren't there to help you. This is an old complaint, but please know that the alert system here isn't perfect for all of us. I simply wasn't getting alerts for this thread for a long time, so didn't know that you were updating. Please feel free to tag me any time. How's that ATO working out for you these days?
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Still having the same issue. I just turn it on everyday to top off then turn it back off. Not sure why it is not working the way it should. I feel like it has to do with the design of the tank. I think that when the pumps switch sides it changes the water level enough to trigger the ATO even though the water is not low.
 

stella1979

Member
Bummer. I'm not familiar with your ATO, or any others or that matter, but do have a basic understanding of how they work. It has some kind of sensor for the waterline of course, so I'm wondering if that could be placed somewhere else in the tank, where you are more guaranteed a consistent waterline.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
stella1979 said:
Bummer. I'm not familiar with your ATO, or any others or that matter, but do have a basic understanding of how they work. It has some kind of sensor for the waterline of course, so I'm wondering if that could be placed somewhere else in the tank, where you are more guaranteed a consistent waterline.
I need to draw up an example of the overflow on this tank and show you all where on have it. That way maybe it will help you all help me come up with a fix. The company offered some options but neither of them has helped.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Hello again, just letting you all know that all seems to be well. Have not replaced my Royal Gramma yet. Just letting everything be for now and making sure the everyone is doing well.
I will upload some pictures soon.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
Time for an update. I know it has been a long time since I have told you all anything about the tank, but as you know thing progress slowly with SW. I have added more corals finally. They all seems to be doing well. Just went out last night and finally added my nem. Red bubbletip. I did lose my urchin along the way. No clue what happened though, he just went from being fine to dead in a matter of abut two days.
 
  • Thread Starter

Gundy1024

Member
More pics...
 

stella1979

Member
Great work! The corals look nice and happy.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom