New Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Breakdown, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Breakdown

Breakdown New Member Member

im in the process of getting a 49 gallon tank and want it to be quite planted. I have kept tropical fish for a few years but never used live plants

Is there a preferred substrate

And extra equipment need

Do i add the plants at the start while tank is cycling

Lewis

2. FishFandom

FishFandom Valued Member Member

My substrate I used it Eco Complete planted aquarium substrate. It's really good for plants and the gravel is small which I like. Extra equipment will be a filter (50 gallon filter at least) heater, aquarium hood or at least lights (make sure it is good lighting for plants) some other decorations to make it pop, I like to use stone or driftwood because it is natural. A gravel siphon to clean the tank, a test kit, I use API liquid test kit, and that's all you really need for the basic things. You can add the plants while cycling, but they could get harmed if any of the levels get too high, so make sure to do plenty of water changes.

3. OP
    OP
    Breakdown

Cheers. For the help will be running a sump looking forward to have a planted tank

4. OP
    OP
    Breakdown

What lights would I need the tank is 80cm deep

5. OP
    OP
    Breakdown

6. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

I have a planted tank with gravel as the substrate, low light plants, and led lighting. I added the plants at the beginning of the cycling process, and I use root tabs for some of the root feeding plants also. If you can I think a planting substrate is probably better. Hope this helps:)

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Plants can be added at any time.

Plant specific substrate helps, but isn't necessary for most plants. Gravel and/or sand can be mine with the addition of root tabs.

You will need decent ferts.

The lighting I'll depend on your plant selection, (fussier plants will need higher lighting, and by default more ferts and co2), as well as your tank depth.
    What are the dimensions of the tank? (Searched for a 49 gallon and couldn't find)

8. OP
    OP
    Breakdown

800 Long 350 wide 760 high

9. J

I'm assuming 76.0 cm???? So 29inches high???

10. OP
    OP
    Breakdown

Yeh measurements in millimetres

11. J

31.5 long x 13.75w x 30 high....

The 30inches high is going to be an issue.... I have a rather strong light on my 24 high, but at the base it's very low par.... realistically it's a tough tank... anubias may be able to grow on the bottom with a top notch kessil, but it's going to require super high lighting plants mid way so as not to fry them....

I would post in the lighting section specifically about a 30in high tank light... really not sure how to help you on that one :( my 24 high gives me enough issues between maintenance and lighting that I've never even looked into lighting for a tank that deep... a chihiros series a, 24/7, fresh and plant... none of them will cut it for that depth....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice