New Tank!!

1. Jamie_3_6

Jamie_3_6 New Member Member

hi so I have recently gotten a new 40 gallon tank and am interested in starting it up sometime soon. I am not yet sure on what fish I would like to put into it or if I would like it to be planted and if so how to go about keeping healthy live plants. If anyone had any ideas or advice it would be much appreciated!!

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Do you have any fish in mind?
    Like a community?
    A semi aggressive community?
    A Aggressive?
    A aggressive community?
    Species only?
    And etc.?

3. OP
    OP
    Jamie_3_6

No so far I don't have anything in mind am just looking for ideas which probably isn't very helpful, a community tank could be something I would be interested in

4. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Well Known Member Member

~For the best plant results, you need soil. CaribSea Eco complete or Amazonia Aquasoil are pretty good. They are pretty much the same since the Caribbean Sea is basically right next to the Amazon. ~You will need fertilizers/supplements, as Seachem Flourish. Seachem Nitrogen is helpful if you have a nitrogen deficiency.
    ~You will need CO2, in which case you can go with API CO2 booster, or a pressurized kit, such as Fluval Pressurized 88G Co2 Kit. The API CO2 liquid isn't as potent but is much simpler.
    ~You also need lighting. This depends on your tank hood since some hoods just use screw on bulbs from Aqueon. NICREW LED Aquarium Lights is a good one on amazon.com You might need the extendable 46"-54" for your 40G
    ~You will also need to have an idea of what you want to own since some fish eat plants and all of your hard work could just be salad
    ~DO NOT vacuum poop. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are good plant food. These are natural fertilizers. You will still need to keep up with water changes

5. Kenny777

A nice colorful community tank are always fun to watch and always stock out, I'll give some ideas/stocking suggestions if interested.

6. ec0830

ec0830 Valued Member Member

IMO, keeping a low tech planted tank is really easy as long as you use a nutrient rich substrate and have good lighting. I love having a planted tank, they absorb nitrates faster and make the water clearer. As for the stocking, I'm not experienced with aggressive fish other than angels but you could do a school of tetras or barbs along with a show fish or two, maybe a smaller species of pleco also.

7. sweendog87

sweendog87 Valued Member Member

I always think peacefully 40 gallon tanks are great maybe one medium tank boss

8. Kenny777

Here's one stocking idea
    4 Peacock Gudgeons
    10 Bleeding Heart Tetras
    10 Bloodfin Tetras
    12 Panda Cories
    2 Bolivian Rams
    4 Nerite Snails
    15 Shrimp

9. OP
    OP
    Jamie_3_6

Wow thank you for that, I think after deciding what to get I will need to do a lot of research into how to keep the plants healthy
    Yes please any ideas would be greatly appreciated

10. j

jenag145 Valued Member Member

Totally agree with. Great options right here

11. OP
    OP
    Jamie_3_6

Thankyou I will do some research into those fish, what plants would you recommend to go with them

12. Kenny777

If you drop the Bloodfin Tetras you could up the number for you panda Cories and bleeding hearts

13. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

The shrimp will become food for the fish hence that should be scratched out from the list.

If this is your first aquarium tank I would not go with Amazonia soil since they are expensive to fill up, very messy and can't be cleaned. If you use Diamond Quartz gravel you can siphon and clean the substrate. Feed with root tabs. I have a small tank with soil, always cloudy and not so great to keep maintainence.

14. OP
    OP
    Jamie_3_6

Thankyou!
    What fish would you put into this?

15. Kenny777

The fish i listed will not hurt the shrimp.

16. Ken Ooi

Bolivian RAMs are a type of cichlids so they could take up Shrimp fishing lol. Any fish with a mouth big enough will take shrimp fry. Had small minnows in my tank and seen them swallow shrimp fry alive. I transferred out the Minnows to another tank.

But really you can do anything with your tank even keep a Betta fish with your shrimp which I do mine. However I noticed some dead shrimp carcasses on the gravel bed which might point to a culprit but have not even seen him eat one alive. Some fish have personalities so you could try it out if you're keen on having them.

17. Kenny777

Oh okay but usually they dont eat the adults hopefully. And it really depends on you bettas personality.

18. Ken Ooi

I am rapidly expanding my Shrimp keeping hobby inspite of the Betta threat. He looms right in front of the Shrimp within 1 cm close up to them and just stares at them. It's rather comical as he actually comes right down to gravel level in a head down position. Good luck with your tank stocking.

19. Kenny777

Lol my betta does great with other fish and shrimp and suprisely he does great with Adf's for some reason he is a really docile betta. And before you scold me it was an experiment he is back in a divider tank.

Man I got lucky with that experiment wooooh