New Tank

newfishy

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first tank as well as fish, a few days ago. currently i have gold fish, black moore and shunbunkins and algae eaters. but my question problem is that i set up the tank as directed to a "T" then one by one added my fish to the tank, which soon turned so murky that you could barely see the fish. So reading the book, as directed i cleaned the tank from top to bottom, using no chemicals what so ever. cleaned the gravel, fake plants. put the fish back in again and the same thing happened all over. (booklet failed to mention all the balances that occures and what to do :-[) called the local petsmart store and they said that the tank could be over crowded, 10gal 6 fish all about 2 in long. so i go and get antoher tank and put half in it, after carefully reading teh instructions. but the same thing happend, clowdy water (lost one fish :'() so i read on here about a partial water change. I did a partial water change but have yet to put my fish back in the water. (or was i supposed to leave them in the water when doing a partial water change) would this bother them by doing it every day till the tank settles and gets normal? I will be getting a water test kit this weekend so i can better monitor the water. Also do you think 5 fish will be ok for a 10 gal tank? My husband wants to use the other tank for tropical fish so we are getting it ready for them, letting it cycle for a few days before getting fish. Any suggestions would be grateful. I have read and researched ever since i got the fish, baught a book on tropical nad fresh water fish, and read till by eyes burned. ;D. Oh i currently have my fish in a smaller "quarintine" tank, is that ok? ???

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What are your fish and do they have names? I am the kind of unofficial Betta lady about here, so I am curious all the time as to whether the tank contains a Betta (although the other fish are very beautiful as well). You will find that if you have any problems the firsh things we will ask for are: What kinds of fish are in the tank and what are your levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? These are just sort of standard questions around here so if you don't have a Master Test Kit you may want to get one. (Most of us use the one from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.) It is important that the tests not be taken with the dip stick type test kits. They are notoriously inaccurate. The type I am recommending are the type with the reageants in little bottles and test tubes to do the testing in. You will have to take the water from the tank to test it instead of just dipping a stick into the water.

Rose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, goldfish are not my perveiw but I believe the general rule-of-thumb with them is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 more gallons for each additional fish. They have the reputation of being "poopers", rather on the dirty end of the aquarium fish and if your tank is not cycled (see article below), you could be getting a bacterial bloom due to all the ammonia and nitrogen released into the water from the fish wastes decomposing. This does not mean you are a dirty aquarium keeper. It means the fish are notorious for being huge waster producers and if the tank was not previously run through the Nitrogen Cycle and kept properly filtered, which I would think would be very hard to do on this type of tank, you are going to have some trouble with bacteria of the bad kind. That is why you are losing fish. You do absolutely have your tank overstocked. I would say it is overstocked with the one goldfish. Maybe, you could get PetSmart to take some of them back due to the fact that you were misled when you purchased them. I hate to say it but they will never all live in that size tank.

I hope this is helpful. I am so sorry I cannot be more positive.

Rose

newfishy

Reaction score
my thoughts exactly, but as for taking them back, i plan on getting a bigger tank so i can keep them. another headachy cycling. but worth it. so ill have two spare tanks for what ever reason. always need an extra one handy. i am still reading up on the black moore as well as the shunbunkins. im an amiture in this venture adn a lot to learn yet. i do agree though those goldfish do poop a lot . though my huisband still wants to get the tropical fish for the other tank. still reading and learning.

newfishy

Reaction score
the fish i currently have are two black moors, which my son calls one "popeye" because he currently has one eye bigger than the other, (currently on meds) and the other one is called "bobble eye", the gold fish is called as is "shunbunkin" and the algae eaters are called "al" and "ge". go figure, lol. i am in the process of finding a master test kit for the freshwater fish tanks. hopfully i will get it al in time and can get my fish in the tank. Though as someone pointed out to me and I totally agree that my tank will be way over crowded. I have two tanks but my husband wants the other for tropical fish (freshwater i think). So i plan on saving up and getting a larger tank, then ill have one for a spare.
Also i read to do a 25% water change daily on the tanks to help them cycle, would it hurt to keep the fish in the tank while doing that. or do i need to keep them out. ???

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! I merged your topics, so please excuse the way it turned out. It looks like Chickadee wasn't paying attention to your previous post by asking what kind of fish you had! ;D

I agree that your tanks are way overcrowded. Add to that they're not cycled tanks, and you've got a big problem. Your goldfish "popeye" probably has a condition called popeye, which may be either because he was sick when you got him, or it's because of the water conditions he's in now. Your algae eater is probably a common pleco which is sold as a small fish about 2 or 3 inches, but they fail to tell you that they will grow to over a foot long, and many up to 2 feet!

Now is where we come in. We have all made the same mistakes when we first started out in this hobby. Hopefully, our experiences will help you through this with no more casualties. I agree with Rose on the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit. Go to their website and find this master test kit online. Copy the page showing the kit and price, and take it with you to PetSmart the next time you go there. They should honor the online price, which should save you over half of the cost! I think the online price is around $13.50. Most local stores usually have a $30.00 price tag. This test kit is vital to the health and survival of your fish. Once you know what your ammonia and nitrite levels are, you can determine where you are in your cycle. You will probably be doing large water changes daily (at least 50%) to get your fish through this, and popeye probably needs to be in his own tank and medicated. You can read up on this below:

https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

It will get better. Once your tank is cycled, you will be an expert after this experience. Just stick with it, post your test results when you get your master test kit, and we will be right there with you!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's okay, Gunnie. LOL I frequently am in a state of total confusion and I did notice that the posts had been split. Just didn't know where to put them. Thanks for doing it for me.

Rose

newfishy

Reaction score
Re: New Tank and Fish / BioSpira

thank you gunnie, and no problem about merging the posts. kinda saves space too on a server. I do believe that my black moore was sick when i bought it from the store and did not realize this till I got home. Called the local petsmart (50 minutes from here) and they suggested the milafix? that you add to thier water. he seems to be doing ok but the eys has get to tatally go down. I understan that i might take more than 7 days for it to get back to normal. I have taken the fish out of the tanks and started teh cycle process fishless, read that in "freshwater aquarium" by Greogory Skomal, as well as read it on this web site. But this is what I have been doing and not sure if it is doing good or really totally stressing the fish out. I have been kinda switching them between a smaller tank that a friend had given me, with an airater and a larger bucket with an airater whenever I see that water turning a little murkey, i change them over to the clean one. they seem to be doing ok and move about more often and not just sit there. yes the pelco is the common one you see at teh store that is about 2 inches, read that they can get big, the black moores dont get too big from what i have read though the shunbunkin can get big as well. my 10 gallon tank, ( i have two) my husband wants to convert to tropical fish, so im steadily "feeding" it every twelve hours. Now my question is this, how cold is the freshwater fish tank supposed to get, and how warm do you usually keep the freshwater tropical fish get? Also there is a "warm" smell to the water, is this common in cycling the tanks. not a rotten or sickly smell but kinda humid i should say. I am still doing the 25% water changes daily in the freshwater fish tank, am i to do that also in the tropical fish tank to help it cycle? also I have read about Bio Spira, is that something that is worth getting to help the tanks along? I cant keep tranplanting my fish for the next six weeks, the poor guys(and or gals, dont know how to tell the sex). It is very frustrating for them and i know it is really stressing them out even if they dont show it. suggestions on this please, you all have been such a great help already and i do hate to bombared you all with this but not sure who else to ask, reading books can only tell so much where experienced people can tell more. ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom