New Tank

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a new tank which I'm using for a Q tank. The tank is in my room and the filter is quite loud and it kept me up last night. I don't realy understand how the filter works. It came with the tank and it's a Rena Filstar i1. Has anyone had any experience with these. There were no instructions with it just some pictures that don't make much sense.

I was wondering would it be best to get a sponge filter like this one?

Thanks

Gwenz

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A sponge filter would be just fine if the filter you have is too loud. What category of filter is it (HOB, internal, etc)?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The Rena filter is an internal filter. This is what it says on the box :
"Internal Filter with Extension Canister & Crystal Clear Cartride"

Gwenz

PS - If I got the sponge filter, would it be ok as it is, or would I need an air stone and things to go with it?

Thanks

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sponge filters either run on a powerhead or an air pump & air stone. You have to buy those separately.

One note, make sure to run the sponge filter in the tank for a few weeks before removing the internal filter so the sponge can cycle.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Powerheads create stronger waterflow, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on tank size and fish. Some filters only run on one or the other though.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One word of caution, if the internal filter caused your sleep to be disturbed, the power head is going to make noise too. Also the air pump. Be sure if you get an air pump (probably the quietest choice of the two choices) that you get one that says it runs silent or quiet. If you just go get one and it says nothing about sound it will probably sound like a jet plane taking off in your room and it needs to be the smallest one you can get.

The quietest filter you can buy would probably be the AquaOne you showed me in the post yesterday that you were going to use in the AquaOne tank and it would not need an external pump. Just make sure it is completely submerged.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I've put the filter further underwater to see if it makes a difference. It has and it's much quieter now. If anything it's working better now too. I think ill stay with this filter for now.

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom