New tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by joiakimfish, Jun 27, 2016.

1. joiakimfish

joiakimfish Valued Member Member

[​IMG]

Just got to work and someone threw out a tank I just checked for leaks and it held up does anyone know ruffly what size this is ... I'm exited

2. Cef

Cef Valued Member Member

Looks like its close to 50, it looks brand new too.

3. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

It's got some ruff silicone in some spots nothing to major

4. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello joi...

It's a standard 55 gallon. Nice tank. This should work out well for you. Careful moving it.

Old

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

i'm guessing somewhere between 40 and 65. It doesn't look 18 inches deep so that rules out 75's or larger.
    ninja'd by oldsalt

6. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

I just took measurements they are

4ft
    2 1/2 ft
    1ft

7. Cef

Cef Valued Member Member

it 74.8g tank according to your dimensions.

8. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Update it's closer to 1 and half not 2 and a half
    It's 48in by 20in by 12in

9. Cef

Cef Valued Member Member

yep, it 49.87g (50g). there's a calculator here on the forum :)

10. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Really ... I didn't know that ....Hmmm I really like the idea of a salt water but I here it's a lot of work .And I'm still new and am just starting to understand fresh water fully

11. f

fishayfishay1020 New Member Member

Get a decent hob filter like a bio wheel or if you can afford it a canister would be better. 2. Pick substrate + lights + decor. 3. Cycle your tank with ammonia or Tetra safe start. 4. Pick your stock

12. Cef

Cef Valued Member Member

Not to worries, but i would recommend freshwater route. Lots of people here will help you as they helped me. Welcome to fishlore!

13. shusband

shusband Well Known Member Member

Saltwater isn't much harder, but it is much more expensive.

14. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Before you pick a substrate you will want to decide if you want any bottom dwellers. Bottom dwellers or digging cichlids will prefer sand to gravel

15. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

fishayfishay1020 sounds like a plan
    Cef shusband I currently have a 125 fw a allready set up that's why I am thinking sw
    tyguy7760 I am deff gonna use sand in this tank 100% sure of that

16. f

fishayfishay1020 New Member Member

I would go with sand as well because i have gravel in a tank right now and i hate it and i will switch to sand once i get past treating ich.

17. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I would stay with freshwater unless you have at a spare $1000 lol. Saltwater doesn't seem too much harder IMO yet (I'm a noob to it) but if you want to go it right then it's going to be expensive.

You have the opurtunity to go with something else you like that wouldn't be compatible with whatever you have in your 125g

18. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Actually just spoke to my boss he gonna let me set the tank up in our brake room I think it would be cool to set up an African cichlid tank in here would this tank size be good for that ?

19. L

Landos Well Known Member Member

Why can't I find that outside my office?!?!?

I dont know much about Cichlids, but my friend is always treating his for injuries due to fighting. Is your boss willing to get another tank as a hospital?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2016
  20. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

I work for uhaul ( repairing their trucks) ppl are allways throwing great stuff out.... Lol I doubt that he would let that happen...was doing some research myself and came across lots of ppl saying the same thig

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice