New Tank

1. Striket85 Member Member

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been on here and I finally got my 75g started. Quick run down. Bought PFS from the depot, poured it directly into the tank (not in any rush to get it cycled), filled up the tank from the hose, added Aqueon water conditioner, set up the eheim 2217 and have had it running for about 3 hours now. Attached are the pictures currently. Any idea of a faster process to clear up the tank or is it a waiting game? Anything I can add to it or should I just be patient. I have no problem either way. If you need any questions answered, please ask! Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. clark12 Member Member

did you rinse your sand thoroughly? mine seemed like it wanted to take forever to even halfway clean up before it went into the tank

3. Striket85 Member Member

I rinsed it by filling the tank with water :3 lol... I didn't wanna go through all that on my initial setup due to me not being in any rush... I'm not thinking about adding anything to the tank for the next 2-4 weeks, and it'll be plants only.

4. axel Member Member

you should rinse it before putting it in the tank next time....it will be cleared instantly..well you can also rinse it in the tank , but it will take 1-2 days to clear it up depends on your filtration system

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

See if a couple of large water changes will help clear it. If it doesn't settle, then I'd say it's a bacterial bloom.

6. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I second that

7. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Can you still have a bacteria bloom even if he's not cycling the tank yet?

8. Striket85 Member Member

Alright I'll do that over the weekend... There really isn't anything that I think would cause a bacterial bloom. New tank, new filtration system, new sand... But we'll see...

9. axel Member Member

bacterial bloom in 3 hours after setup? is it possible?

10. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Once you add the dechlorinator, yes, you can see a bacterial bloom.

11. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Hmm... learn something new every day!

I added a small cartidge of API chem-zorb and it cleared my newly set up 20g in less than 24hrs. You can always try that. It can't hurt unless meds are involved.

12. Striket85 Member Member

Ahhh good to know

13. Striket85 Member Member

1465606757802.jpg

It's definitely clearing up and I haven't touched it so I'll do a water change tomorrow and see how that affects it

14. axel Member Member

may i know why need to change the water?

15. clark12 Member Member

i would say to start to get rid of all the "dusty" particles in the new sand. bad thing is even though it settled, its still in the tank. if it were me i would turn the filters off and stir the tank and wash it in the tank. change the water a few times. that might be excessive but thats me. my cichlids dig and stir in the sand and that tank would be a cloudy mess. right now is the easiest time do that. not an expert just my opinion.

16. Striket85 Member Member

So I got it cleared up and just got my test kit in the mail. I added flake food about 4 days ago to start the ammonia process and my levels are PH : 7.5 +/-. 2, ammonia : 2.0, nitrite and nitrate : 0... I assume I need to balance the pH to 7 but what would be the next process towards adding plants and fish?

17. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You won't need to do anything to your PH

As long as you keep it at a stable level, the fish can usually adjust themselves to it. Seeing as you've no fish yet you very well could adjust ph now, but, when you do a water change I assume that your tap PH is gonna mess up the balance. I wouldn't know much about that, I just know that these fish tend to be able to adjust to a variety of ph levels within a 6-8 range or so, and as long as it doesn't go under any sudden changes they will be good.

I also agree that you should always rinse your substrate thoroughly to wash out the particles that have gathered from being rubbed together inside of bags between exiting the factory and entering your tank.

18. Striket85 Member Member

That's good to know on the pH. I don't want to shock the fish or plants when they are added. Yeah I knew that about the substrate but that's all hind sight... Lol... So next steps?

19. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Since you're fishless cycling, go ahead and add decor. Rock, driftwood, plants. Plants aren't really affected by the nitrogen cycle, and in fact, some plants eat ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

It looks as though you have a Finnex light of some sorts. That'll grow plants. So my advice is that while you're cycling, add your decor and get it all prettied up.

20. Striket85 Member Member

Yes I have the finnix stingray, good for low light plants, may upgrade down the road if I plan on heavily planted. I'll start working on decor then. Thanks!