New tank

1. Mossyoakwoods Initiate Member

Hello all!!!! Let's begin with a problem I have.
    I recently set up a new 15 gallon tall. With the rookie mistake of putting two neon tetras, two guppies, two small red ones I forget and a loach .. With three ghost shrimp.
    Conditioned water to the specs of the gallons I have and dos a batteria supplement for the amount of water I have.
    Two of them died, so I picked up the apo master set for testing. It's been a week now levels
    Am. .25ppm
    Nitri. 0 ppm
    Nitrates 0 ppm
    Ph is 7.6 ish little lower I guess
    One water change in that week and the fish seem good. Water is clear and can't figure out if it did its cycle yet..... What to do ??

Please give info
    Master fish keepers

2. DebsR Member Member

If the nitrates are at 0 i would guess it isnt cycled yet. Normally you would get ammonia, then some nitrites and then once they both drop you should see nitrates. I tested my water daily during the cycling process and that was the pattern i saw, though im by no means an expert. Tank cycling can take ages. It took me 3/4 weeks until it was cycled to the point where i could add pure ammonia and it was gone within 12-16 hours. I think when ammonia is present you should dose with prime to make sure it doesnt poison the fish. But hang on for more advice as im still a newbie myself.

3. FurryPanda Initiate Member

I'd say it isn't cycled but, the low nitrates level could be due to your water change you mentioned. For it to "truly" be cycled ammonia and nitrate should be at 0 ppm, which isn't the case for your aquarium, however, this might be due to your tap water. Could you test your tap water to see if it has any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates?

4. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

There no possible way it's cycled after a week. Use a combination of seachem stability and seachem prime to cycle the tank if you want to keep the current fish you have (although you have serious stocking issues). I'd honestly suggest returning all but the guppys. Use 4-5 to produce enough waste for an adequate ammonia source.

A complete cycle will be 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, more than 0 nitrates.

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

No, I wouldn't say you're cycled judging by those numbers, the stock you have and tank size. You'll know when you're cycled if you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrates. Cycling can take up to 12 weeks. If you use a bacteria supplement, it could take 2-3 weeks. What bacteria supplement did you use?

And you may already know you have some stocking issues. :) Which two fish died? The neon tetras are schooling fish that need at least 6+ but they'd be better in a 20g. The guppies are ok in that tank size. Do you know the sex of each? Do you know what kind of loach you have? You could also post a photo of the two red fish and we can help ID unless they are the ones that died.