NEw tank 20 Gallon Tank

1. Nick Della Rocca Member Member

Hi, My name is NIck. My fiance and I are planning on buying a 20 gallon tank today for our son. We will be buying a 20 gallon tank. We are looking to get a blue lobster "crawfish". We herd from a few places that if we do that we are limited to getting a few fast moving fish that swim toawrds the top. IVe asked. and each place gives us different answers that contradict eachother. So here I am What kind of fish Can I get and apporx. How many fish can I put in the 20 gallon with the blue craw. Also I will be purchasing the tank today and setting it up to run overnight to clean out the dirt and dust from the tank and the gravel. Also we Will be putting in plants. Are the plan ts something I can buy rightaway and put in the tank today, or should i wait for tomorrow when we go buy our stock of fish to put in?

2. bescher Member Member

Please remember before you do anything research. You have to do a nitrogen cycle which depends on how you do it can take anywhere from a week to a month if your going to let fish live. Also a 20 gal tank will not hold a lot of fish with a crawfish and plants in there as well
    So read the forums learn what you need to do to just set it up and then go from there.
    Welcome to the group.

3. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Agreed--make sure you know about the nitrogen cycle first! It will save you a lot of stress and heartache later.

Are you planning on getting a 20 gal long or a 20 gal high?

Here's an old thread: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/blue-lobster/43244-blue-lobster-fish.html

Looking around it seems like your best bet would be zebra danios (they are very zippy, and tend to stay higher) or some tetra with similar characteristics. However, some places are saying the blue crays are best to keep by themselves, or that it depends on their personality (kind of like bettas--some can be in a community, others kill on sight).

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

It's a risk for sure. What is not a risk of any sort is an African Filter Shrimp, also sometimes known as a Viper shrimp. It will never hurt a fish. It doesn't even have pincers. It has bristles that are used to fan tiny debris from a water current. That's all he eats, so you would need a water pump if you get an AFS. You would never have an issue with it going after fish. It can't and doesn't want to.

5. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I just wanted to say Welcome to FishLore! I hope you enjoy the site