New Tank

1. TruFord Initiate Member

My wife and I just bot a 55 gallon tank and have had it running getting ready to add fish but we're wonder what to put in ..... She's had fish before but I haven't so here I am tring to get info so I can actually be of help. We are thinking doing a tropicial tank but what fish should we put in we have some tiger barbs in a 10 gallon tank so that's the only 1 that we don't want to put in this tank. Any help, or suggestions wanted thx

2. Jon Well Known Member Member

You could put most fish in a 55 gallon tank. If you havent cycled it then it would be my opinion not to buy fish yet because you might be interested in larger more expensive fish for a tank that size and you dont want them to die after spending tons of money on them. Just drop amonia into the tank everday or put in fish food and get some gravel from a petstores tank that is on display. You should probably just go to the sites fish profiles section and look up the fish that you are interested in. The profiles tell you everything you need to know

PS: i am a beginner but i think what i just said is pretty good advice. i know from experience cycling your tank with fish is a hassle

3. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I agree with Jon, the tank should definately have time to cycle first, but once it does settle, Might i suggest some zebra danios? They are very popular fish, so you shouldn't have trouble finding them at your lfs. Right now I have 6 of them in my 20 gallon, and they are so cool to watch.. I have always wondered what it would be like to have a larger tank, so i could then get a bigger school of them.. For a 55, I would think like 10 zebras would be awesome ( adding them like 2 or 3 at a time), but i definately don't think you would be disappointed, as they are very active fish!

4. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

also zerbra danios dont cost that much

5. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

yes, where I live, you can get 10 of them for 3 dollars, good investment! they are really hardy too.

6. Jon Well Known Member Member

they are 99c each at my lfs which usually has good prices.

zebra danios are somewhat small and you might prefer to jsut fishless cycle it so you can get more exotic fish when it is over. i like angelfish and discus are very nice to look at ( they can live togethor i have been told because the rare discus disease is almost completely erradicated).

7. Kim Michelle Initiate Member

Take it from someone who has only just gone through this herself, cycling a tank with fish isn't just a pain, its unkind. Although I inherited my tank, and therefore assumed it would already be cycled, removing most of the water took out all the goodness. So there I was, through ignorance, with a full tank of fish that then went through a mini cycle. I lost every single fish, except for a pleco that I had added myself. I knew a couple of days before they died that they were not happy, and watching them in that sorry state was very upsetting. If I knew someone else with a tank, I could have asked them to house the fish for me until mine was cycled, but I was stuck. I wouldn't want anyone else to go what I went through, and how guilty I felt about "killing" all my fish.

Have patience with the cycle routine. Mine has finally sorted itself out, and I have slowly started adding fish. The temptation is to move too quickly and add too many at once. Go slowly.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member