New tank

1. Jaws90 Initiate Member

Hey there

So im brand new to this site but it seems pretty full of information, so with that said heres my problem. My old tank was 32 gallons and i had 4 tinfoils 4 tiger barbs and 2 balas and saw that was way to small for them so I upgraded (sale at big als couldnt of been better timing).

The problem now is they are in a 90 gallon and wanted to know how many bala sharks should be added for an optimal situation. Just like the 32 gallon i now have 6 tigers 4 tinfoils and still the 2 balas. I kept reading and saw they do better with schools so was thinking of adding 2, maybe 3 but i dont want to overdo it and overstock. The balas are currently fine, pretty peaceful and eat whatever is given. So with all that said do you think it is wise to add 2 or 3 or leave the tank as is?
    Chris

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would add one more and call it a day. They won't be able to live in a 90 full term tho.

3. Jaws90 Initiate Member

Alright, minimum for full length would be like 125 gal i take it?

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think a 125 is min but they really need larger.

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

6. Jaws90 Initiate Member

hey there
    I recently caved to my temptation of building a new tank, mostly because im tired of growing fish in my 90gallon then having to find them a new home. Im currently deciding between a 8x3x3ft or 7x2.5x2.5 tank. Most people say the proper size for a full grown Bala shark is 180 gallons, some say less, some say more. So with this tank size im looking at over 300gallons, roughly 330 if i remember right, for a full grown school of say 8 or so balas (maybe more maybe less), is this sufficient? Lets ignore filtration for the time being!

7. Jaws90 Initiate Member

New tank!

Hey there
    So im in the middle of a new tank build and im considering in making it aro friendly! That being said the tank will most likely be 7x2.5x2.5ft (MAYBE 8x3x3), is this suitable for a full grown silver aro? I realise theres lots of info on the site but its the width im worried about most as most can reach 3' if my sources are right. Let's ignore filtration for the time being!

8. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Thats about 500 gallons off the top of me head more like 535. Anyway 500 gallons is a good size for an aro.

9. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi jaws,
    Your measurements equate to: 7' = 327G, 8' = 538G

A full size arrowana can reach 100cm (3' 3"), IMO, neither of your planned tanks are suitable in width. Ideally your width should be 1.5 times the length of the fish, giving it room to turn around. I also believe that the length of a tank should be around 5-7 times the length of the fish.

IMHO - arrowana should be left in the wild.

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

starhanging.gif Merged threads. I have merged 3 of your threads all titled "New Tank" and moved your thread to Aquarium Stocking Questions. I think it will be less confusing to other members.

Thanks!

Ken

11. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

I have to agree most people would say 500 gallons as a minimum but. Personally a suitable tank for a full grown aro would be around 15 foot wide. 5 foot deep and 3 foot tall. While 500 is a minimum these fish get to be extremely large and should really.be left to enormous aquariums or public aquariums

12. Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

13. Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Oh no... some fish should remain in public aquariums, as someone already mentioned.

Plus if you're willing to construct such a large setup, if you go with "smaller" fish you have more opportunity to have an interesting simulated ecosystem... as opposed to one or two monster fish and nothing else. But that's just my opinion.

Please do post pics though! I love it when people build their own tanks. :)