New tank

1. Rilayna Initiate Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to the board and new to aquariums! My father had a large aquarium when I was a girl but I didn't pay much attention. Now my little boy decided he wants fish so we have done some research (apparently not enough!) and we have had some success and some ...no so good success. Currently we have a male guppie, a female swordtail, and a common pleco in a 10 gallon tank. My most burning question is what temperature is ok? We have four fish but three died, the guppie survived but we lost a male guppie, a female sunset and a female silver mollie. The temperature I was told to keep it at was 76 degrees, but the tank somehow reached 82-84 for an undetermined amount of time. I assume this is what killed them. I have the heater off and the tank still reaches 82 degrees! help! :eek:

2. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Hello!
    Which country do you live in? And where is the fish tank placed?
    I should imagine that may have boiled them. Have you checked the heater is set on the right temperature?
    Also, have you let the tank cycle for at least 2 weeks before putting the fish in?

3. fletch Member Member

I have the same fish as you( plus a few more) and they all seem to have a happy medium of about 26 degrees celsius (sorry about the metric, its the only metric measurement theyve forced us to use in britain!). Temperature isnt usually the cause of lots of deaths. Depending on how long youve had your tank it could be the chemistry In the water. Your local store should be able to do a free test for you if you take in some tank water.
    The way it works is that the filter material has to build a strong consentration of bacteria to consume all the ammonia and nitrates (which are bad for your fish). Filters dont start out with these bacteria but should begin to build a large culture once there are fish in the tank. My filter took 3 months to get established but most people only have to wait a few weeks. as I said, try asking at your local store for a test and if you want to help your filter along a bit try using some commercial bacteria which you just pour into the tank once a day.

4. Rilayna Initiate Member

Thanks for the advise! I am in Colorado, USA. It has been getting hot here in the afternoons in the house. I took the heater completely out cause without it the water has been staying at a temperate 78 F (26 C), But it has been rising when the housegets hot. Should I put a fan close by to blow on the tank? Another question too. My male guppy is chaseing around the new female swordtail constantly. When I get other fish will he leave her alone? I am worried she is going to get stressed out. We have had the tank for about two months and it was established for about two weeks before we added the first batch of fish. The male guppy is from the first batch of four. The Pleco and the Swordtail are three days in the tank.

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You can take the hood off and blow a fan over the top of your water to cool it down. You can also freeze some water or put ice cubes in a ziplock bag and float them in your tank to slowly cool th tank down. ;)

6. onelovie Member Member

I have a male guppy, who for some reason, spends a lot of his time chasing around my lyretail swordtail. The guppy has never harmed the swordtail, just chases him around. This has been going on for over six weeks since I added the guppy. I know that doesn't answer your question, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice that the guppy is actually nipping the swordtail's fins or something!

7. Rilayna Initiate Member

Thanks for all the advice! I got some of those test strips to testthe tank water. Water seems a little hard but nothing to worry too much about, other then that the water is great. The three in the tank seem to be doing good. Going to try the different methods to keep the tank cool. Would a 20 gallon tank be easier to keep cool? I have a 10 gallon now.

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

A 20 gallon is easier to maintain than a 10 gallon because you have less fluctuations in conditions due to twice as much water in the tank. The bigger the tank, the easier it becomes to maintain except for gravel vacs if you are using 5 gallon buckets! If I cleaned my 100 tank that way, I wouldn't have it long! ;)

9. fletch Member Member

Ive got the same problem with temperature at the moment. For the last few weeks my tank has been getting to about 82f-86f (28c-30c) but the fish seem to be doing fine. I think I may take the ice bag suggestion. Are you sure this wont kill investigative fish?

10. Craig Well Known Member Member

on hot days my tank get 2 about 28degrees and the fish do fine i think because if it rises slowly the fish become adjusted 2 that temp then it goes down towards the evening and then goes back 2 26-27degrees overnight

11. FishFan Member Member

This happened to me as well (the heater went haywire). I returned the heater for a new one and was lucky I caught it in time. I keep my community tank between 78-82. As for losing fish early on, it seems to be normal, from what I've seen. Best of Luck and Welcome to FishLore!

12. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

The deaths were probably caused by adding too many fish, too soon, not because of the temperature. Has your tank finished cycling? If so, you can add more fish, a few at a time, but if not, you need to research some ways to speed up the process so you don't lose more fish. Also, beware of overfeeding! If your son is doing the feeding, he could have accidentally killed the fish by feeding way too much. The food should all be eaten in 3-5 minutes, or it will spoil. If you want to move the fish to a 20-gallon, make sure it is completely cycled before moving them--you can cycle it with fish food. Also, your pleco will get to be 18"! He will be WAY to big for a ten- or 20-gallon tank. A full grown common pleco needs at least 55 gallons.

13. FishFan Member Member

What is "investigative fish"? When I thought of it, it made me think of my angelfish...they are SO nosy!!! LOL

14. fletch Member Member

An investigative fish is a fish that like to investigate. That made me laugh!!! :D ;D

15. FishFan Member Member

Well me too-that's why I asked!!! :D ;D So, my angels are "investigative" then! LOL

16. fletch Member Member

LOL. I.L.L. S.P.E.A.K. S.L.O.W.L.Y. N.E.X.T. T.I.M.E. T.H.E.N.

;D :D ;)

17. FishFan Member Member

:p

18. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

lol Private Eye Angel Fish to the crime scene investigation... I can just imagine it! :D

19. joe Member Member

maybe if you get 1 or 2 more female swordtails it might help the crazy chasing

20. NanoAddict Member Member

Is your tank by the window? ??? ? if it is the sunlight will raise the heat