new tank yay :) 20 Gallon Tank 

snook123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i just got a new 20 gallon tank its cycling with 5 rosy reds would i not have to cycle if i put my old filter in the new one

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
u should cycle it without the fish maybe a peice of shrimp
if you can

snook123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i didnt know you could use shrimp in fresh water

could i put old filter cartridge in it

would i still have to cycle

Hello,
I've merged your back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

GroverDill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes use the old filter media, if it is still wet and has not gone too long with out fish in the tank. It will still have to cycle but it will be much much faster.

Congrats on the new tank!

snook123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
at pet super market i mentioned cycling my new tank, he looked at me like i was insane

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmm you're going with a fish cycle.. I suggest getting Aqua Safestart as it detoxifies Ammonia and it would make it safer for your fish.

Yes, You would still have to cycle your tank but it would be faster if you used an old filter cartridge.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Depending on what kind of beneficial bacteria colony is built up on your old media, you may have an instant cycle. I think this is the answer you were looking for.

Here is what I would do: move over the old cartridge. Test your water 24 hours later, and if you have ammonia or nitrites, kick in with daily water changes with Prime until those readings are 0. Hopefully, there's enough of a colony that you won't need to cycle, or the cycle will be mostly done and go very quickly.

edit: If this filter is from the 1.5 gallon, it might be too small to have enough of a colony to instant cycle the tank. Just be prepared to test your parameters and do the water changes if it is necessary.

snook123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd think the bacteria would move right over with the extra amonia

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
snook123 said:
I'd think the bacteria would move right over with the extra amonia
brokenwing said:
absolutely no shrimp for cycling an aquarium. Use pure ammonia. read this article from aquarium products.
I'm a bit lost with both of these comments. Wing, this is a fish-in cycle, not fishless. And snook, what do you mean?

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
With the bacteria in your old media, from the 1.5 gallon to being shifted to the new tank it will be very simple but because of the size of the tank it won't be enough to make a instant cycle IME depending on what the old bacteria has been built up to work with, but will help a lot.

The best bet is to keep testing the water and keep up the water changes accordingly.

Now with regards brokenwing. Adding pure ammonia at this stage from what I have understand, with fish-in cycle it would be a waste of time due to the fact you would need to do a water change to lower it or the fish would get affected.

mac

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
im so sorry, im confused, i misread this is a fish in cycle. I will erase my other comments. Sorry for the confusion.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Since you already have the fish, I recommend that you transfer the old filter media over and add the fish right away. Keep in mind folks that according to his Aquarium Profile Information, these fish do not have a cycled tank to go into. If the filter is moved from the 1.5 gallon to the 20 gallon then they might as well go into the 20 gallon now.

There is a chance you may have an instant cycle but be prepared for daily water changes just in case. Have some Prime or Amquel + on hand in case you need to detox ammonia. Even if you don't get an instant cycle, the cycling time should be reduced since you are adding established filter media. The Prime or Amquel + will keep his fish safe during the process.

There is no point to move the established filter media to the new tank and then start adding liquid ammonia. The fish will be the ammonia source.

Ken

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ken said it way better than I did.

snook123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
just tested my tank its at
ammonia- 1.5
nitrite- 1.0
nitrate-0
ph isn't important but its- 7.6

is my cycle coming along good

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Another thing that would help the cycle is to take gravel from an established aquarium and take panty hose that has never been washed or a type of netting and fill it up with the gravel and drop that in the tank.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Yes, your cycle is coming along. Since you are showing ammonia readings start with the daily water changes and add some Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. Hopefully it won't take too many changes since you've seeded the aquarium.

Your pH is good and it IS important Keeping your pH level above 7.0 while you're cycling is recommended. If your pH level were to drop below 7.0 while you're cycling it could delay the process.

Here is a link on Seeding that you may find helpful:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/please-remember-cycling-with-established-filter-media.66727/

Hang in there and keep us posted please.

Ken

snook123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok if any one is still looking at this i tested my water today its at
ph 8.2
amonia 3
nitrite 10
nitrate.5
nitrite and nitrate might be bacwards