New Tank! Woohoo!

1. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

Well my new tank is finally set up! I had a bit of a delay since my fx5 filter was missing a part (I was so excited to get it going I tried to use it without the missing clip ... bad idea because it started leaking. But all fixed now).

It is a 142g tank, 5'x2'x2'.

I've just put in the ammonia to start it cycling ... so now it is just a waiting game. I've ordered a few pieces of driftwood and some rocks and as soon as I get paid I'll order the plants.

Fish Main.jpg

Fish3.jpg

Fish1.jpg

Fish2.jpg

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Omg... why not set the furnature towards the tank :) everyone love reality TV and that looks like the start of an awesome series ;)

3. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

That will be great when you get it going. I would have my couch right across from it so I could sit and watch the fish. What are you planning to put in there?

4. Jennifer26

Jennifer26 Valued Member Member

Nice!

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats on the new tank.

Looking forward to updates!

Ken

6. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks everyone. Moving the couch is a good idea! I didn't think of it. However there is another small couch on the left that wasn't in the pic so I don't know if I could get it to fit that way. I'll have to see.

As for what I want to put in there ... Lots! Lol. I have a list of what I want but I'm still debating if it would be a little overstocked or not. Here's my list so let me know what you think!

1 angelfish
    2 electric blue rams
    2-3 pearl gourami
    5 Platies
    5 guppies
    5 false Julii cories
    5 sterbai cories
    7 Otocinclus
    9 Praecox Rainbowfish
    13 Kuhli loaches
    13 cherry barbs
    13 marble hatchet fish
    13 flame tetras
    13 Kerri/blue emperor tetras
    13 harlequin rasbora
    13 glass catfish

And some Malaysian Trumpet Snails. And possibly some glass shrimp if I think they'll last longer then 2 minutes in the tank before becoming a snack ... Hmm, are they a healthy lunch for fish?

... Aqadvisor puts that stocking at 121% but I'm not sure whether I trust them or not. I may remove one of the schools from the list.

7. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

That is one big tank!! Going to be amazing when set up... Congrats!

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

The shrimp may or may not be lunch for them never know, depends on what happens in the tank really.

As for stock I would never fully agree with AA but your tank is def looking fully stocked.

9. OP
    OP
    S

Ok, change of plans :)

Some of you may have seen my post in the stocking forum. The short story is: I am allowed 2 tanks, obviously the one above and a second custom tank. I was going to get a 55g for the second but after having thought about it I wanted an oscar which wouldn't fit in a 55g. So I made a deal with my mum so the largest I could go is a 110g tank (60x18x24 inches). However it didn't make sense to put the large fish in the smaller tank and the smaller fish in the larger tank.

So the 142g (5'x2'x2') pictured above is going to be stocking:
    1 oscar
    1 jack dempsey
    1 gold severum
    1 chocolate cichlid
    6-8 red-tailed tinfoil barbs

While my second custom tank that will be either 110g (60x18x24) or 90g (48x18x24) and stocking:
    1 angelfish
    2 electric blue rams
    3 platies
    5 guppies
    5 false julii cories
    5 sterbai cories
    7 otocinclus
    13 kuhli loaches
    10 marble hatchets
    10 flame tetras
    10 harlequin rasboras
    10 glass catfish
    MTS
    Glass shrimp

I am getting a quote done now on both tank sizes although I am going to try for the 110g. If not then I'll have to cut another school or two out of the above list.

So ... any suggestions on how to decorate the 142g pictured above for the large cichlids? I've never had big fish before so I'm not sure how to decorate ... I was thinking about 2 or 3 flower pots, but no idea what else.

Also any suggestions on very hardy plants that would survive the above fish would be appreciated. I don't mind if a few of them get nibbled on as long as they aren't expensive. And plants that help with nitrates would be especially good!

10. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Once it's completely set up and stocked, please ship it to me with everything in it. You pay shipping too!

Thanks! ;)

It's going to look awesome!

11. OP
    OP
    S

Lol, sorry ZeeZ but I'm pretty sure shipping to the US would cost more than the tank and cabinet cost to buy in the first place :p

12. OP
    OP
    S

Progress!!! Well today is day 10 of fish less cycling and I've just seen my first drop in ammonia! Sorry but I find that exciting lol. This is my first time cycling fishless, back when I started I didn't know any better :(

So I added ammonia on Sunday 30th Dec to 2ppm and now on day 10 I've got 1ppm ammonia and 5ppm nitrite. I find it a little odd that 1ppm ammonia can convert into 5ppm nitrite but oh well. I'm so happy! And my LFS has order all the fish I want so they should be able to move into their new home soon! (Okay maybe a little exaggeration seeing as I likely still have at least 2 weeks left of cycling, possibly longer).

I am also going to the LFS on the weekend to get a second filter for the tank. While the fx5 is good it is just not going to cut it by itself. So I'll pick up a eheim classic 2217 to go with it. And he also has my quote ready for my next tank! Happy happy happy! Ok, maybe not when I see the price of the quote, lol.

13. Everythingzen

Everythingzen Well Known Member Member

Which shop is giving you the quote? I discovered the joy that is Le Aquatic in Lansvale a little while ago. They've got some amazing tanks for amazing prices. If my floor could hold a larger one, I'd be happily paying one off as I type. Ah well. Next house with a concrete floor will see me with at least a 6ft!!

Love your stocking, btw. Is the Jack Dempsey going to be an electric blue?

14. OP
    OP
    S

It's called Paws and Claws on Milperra Rd, Milperra. Technically not a fish shop but the owner is really into fish and has a few large tanks himself. Oddly enough I was browsing on Gumtree today and I came across an ad for le aquatic! I am going through lansdowne on Saturday so I may see if I can take a detour :)

I do really like the electric blue jack Dempsey so if I can find one I may consider it but from what I've read about them they can be a little touchy and have a few health issues.

15. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

Thats great! i cant wait to see the tank once its been fully stocked :D keep us updated!

16. ZeeZ

Sigh.... fine... you can keep the tank and the stock... if you promise to post photos. Deal?

17. OP
    OP
    S

DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :;hf :;banaman

Mwahahahaha, just remember you asked for it ZeeZ! Nobody else that I know wants to talk fish with me anymore so I have to spend at least half of everyday on fishlore :)

18. ZeeZ

LOL, go ahead! Everybody here loves to indulge in nerdy fish talk.

Any updates yet?

19. OP
    OP
    S

Still cycling ... The tank can now process 1.75ppm of ammonia in 24 hours but the nitrites aren't going anywhere :( as soon as I add the drops to the test the water turns purple so I think that means I have more than 5ppm of nitrites ... It ... Will ... Get ... There ... Soon!!!

And no new pics because nothing has changed ... Because I have no money to buy anything except the filter this weekend. So decorations will have to wait 1 more week but I will get there!

20. r

riptide904 Valued Member Member

Cool tank :) With that stock list I definitely want to see pics when it's done!