New Tank With Hard Water Help

1. T

Td644 New Member Member

So I'm not completely new to the hobby but it's been a good 10 years since I last had fish. I also had amazing water quality so I never had to worry. I want to use my old 20 gallon high again. I'd like to do a planted community tank with a betta as the centerpiece. But I'm a little worried about my water the PH is fine but GH is 214.1 ppm and KH is 161.1. So any advice on what fish, plants or if I should even worry about it would be appreciated.

2. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Most fish can adapt to hard water, so i wouldnt worry too much. You could also focus on species that come from hard water (ie livebearers, african cichlids, etc). Or if you really want to keep slecies from south america that prefer soft water (but dont want to put them in hard water in case they dont adapt) then you can invest in a RO system.

3. OP
    OP
    T

Td644 New Member Member

A RO is a little out of my budget the plan is to replace the old filter and light than get the substrate and plants starting a fishless cycle while growing the plants (I know some people don't recommend this but it's what my aunt has always done with all her tanks) Then add the fish. My plan was a Betta, Harlequin Rasbora, Kuhli's or Cory's I haven't decided yet and once it's established adding some Ghost shrimp and Nerite snails. The stocking calculator I used had me at 73-75% depending on what I chose. I'll also have a cycled 5 gallon just incase the Betta bullies or is bullied.

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't consider that exceptionally hard water. Any plants/tank raised fish you choose will do fine.