New Tank With Dead Fish

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Savwingrove, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Savwingrove

Savwingrove Valued Member Member

hi guys so I know quite a bit of knowledge about the nitrogen cycle and just got my second tank being a 10 gallon... anyways went to a friends house and we found her kids old fish tank!

It was disgusting because there was a dead fish in it and she said it has probably been dead in there for over a year! Filter was still going and besides the fish the tank was spotless!!

So I took my testing kit over and checked all the levels

Everything as so perfect! pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

I took some gravel and started up my new 10 gallon tank with no fish in and added the gravel!!

I am now regretting it thinking the dead fish could have created other problems such as parasites!

What do I do?

2. heybrittany

heybrittany Valued Member Member

From what I've read most of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter so the gravel won't help too much to jump start a cycle? And I'm not sure about parasites or disease but it does seem a little worrisome, sorry.

3. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I’m paranoid because I had some bad issues this fall, but I’d definitely sterilize it and start from scratch. I find it hard to believe that a dead fish would last a year... I think it would have disintegrated by now! Stranger things have happened though. :)

4. Rylan

Rylan Well Known Member Member

Hmm, I think I would sterilize the tank with something like hydrogen peroxide, if nothing else. Decomposing fish could have all sorts of nasties. I wouldn’t risk it.

5. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Thank you guys going to definitely sterilize this new tank... how do I do that though because I can only imagine how bad it would be for the fish once cleaned... would I rinse tank, take everything out... put some new water and mix with peroxide or bleach and then do a thorough rinse to make sure all of the bleach/ peroxide is gone? Also lots of scrubbing I can only imagine haha! Really appreciate all the help!!!

6. Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79 Valued Member Member

I cleaned my old 10 gallon with vinegar.

7. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Perfect thank!

8. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I cleaned mine with bleach. I filled it up, let the filter and everything soak in the bleach for about half an hour. Then I rinsed it, added strong dechlorinator (buy some cheap stuff and I did 5x the regular dose). I rinsed, smelled it for bleach, then dechlorinated again. Allow everything to dry. If you end up doing a fishless cycle, it's even less of a big deal. I let mine dry for 3 days, filled it up, then started with a fishless cycle.

9. Rylan

Rylan Well Known Member Member

3% Hydrogen Peroxide is nice too because even if you accidentally miss some in the rinse it breaks down into harmless compounds. It really comes down to what you feel most comfortable with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice