65 Gallon Tank New Tank With 7 Glo Fish Tetras

Johngs4

Reaction score
Hello everyone, My wife and I have just started a new 65 gallon tank with 7 glow fish tetras. The biggest question I have right now is Insread of behaving nicely they are chasing each other around. From reading these forums it sounds like they are establishing A pecking order. I’ll see how they do as time proceeds.

John

KeegansTropiks

Reaction score
HI there.

Yes as many species of “schooling” or shoaling fish we want them to swim gracefully but they end up fighting to establish their dominance.

Most people say add a lot more as a bigger group may disperse aggression but this is not the case with all fish.

A factor that might aid to the aggression is the ratio of males to females.
Often if there are too many males they end up fighting a lot. (Again might have to add more of the same fish.)

Believe it or not my “peacefull” ember tetras would fight all the time and still do now and again but seem to keep their cool as they are more dominant, intimidating species in the tank such as my Betta.

If you were planning to add more fish maybe go with something bigger than the glo fish though not too big or aggressive to hunt them obviously. Maybe Some gourami, angelfish, ect...

Adding plants and ornaments may give a retreat for any bullied or injured fish to rest and recover is a good idea if they start getting too aggressive.

Hope this answers some questions.

Keep us updated.

Ladyglo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome! I'm not sure how recently you added the fish, so this may or may not be useful :shy:. I recently put 9 glofish tetras in a 45 gallon tank. They relentlessly, chased each other around for the better part of the day, so much so that I was seriously considering returning the biggest offender. However, by the next morning they were all getting along fine. Occasionally, two will chase each other, but now, it seems to be more playful than aggressive. Hope this helps, good luck .

OP
Johngs4

Johngs4

Reaction score
KeegansTropiks said:
HI there.

Yes as many species of “schooling” or shoaling fish we want them to swim gracefully but they end up fighting to establish their dominance.

Most people say add a lot more as a bigger group may disperse aggression but this is not the case with all fish.

A factor that might aid to the aggression is the ratio of males to females.
Often if there are too many males they end up fighting a lot. (Again might have to add more of the same fish.)

Believe it or not my “peacefull” ember tetras would fight all the time and still do now and again but seem to keep their cool as they are more dominant, intimidating species in the tank such as my Betta.

If you were planning to add more fish maybe go with something bigger than the glo fish though not too big or aggressive to hunt them obviously. Maybe Some gourami, angelfish, ect...

Adding plants and ornaments may give a retreat for any bullied or injured fish to rest and recover is a good idea if they start getting too aggressive.

Hope this answers some questions.

Keep us updated.
How do tell the difference between male and female?

OP
Johngs4

Johngs4

Reaction score
Johngs4 said:
Hello everyone, My wife and I have just started a new 65 gallon tank with 7 glow fish tetras. The biggest question I have right now is Insread of behaving nicely they are chasing each other around. From reading these forums it sounds like they are establishing A pecking order. I’ll see how they do as time proceeds.

John
Another piece of our behavior is that when I feed the fish they all go for the food except for 1 fish, the same thing has happened two days in a row.

OP
Johngs4

Johngs4

Reaction score
Johngs4 said:
Another piece of our behavior is that when I feed the fish they all go for the food except for 1 fish, the same thing has happened two days in a row.
I meant to say ‘odd’ behavior

Ladyglo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Johngs4 said:
How do tell the difference between male and female?
I'm not sure I'm much help, but here is what I found out when I did some searching. The female is supposedly rounder than the male, while the male has a more narrow, pointed dorsal fin and a broader analfin. I can't tell the difference in mine. Of course, I guess that they could all be the same sex. Hopefully, someone with more experience can give you a better answer.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom