New tank when to do a 1st time water change

dpotash

I have recently setup a 125 gallon fish only tank with 80 pounds of live rock.
It has been up for 2 days now and I have already needed to add about 6 gallons of water due to evaporation. Is this normal or does it seem like alot. The heater is set at 77 degrees. As for adding the water, I mixed up 5 gallons in a bucket added some conditioner, waited about ten minutes and poured it into the filter. Is this the normal procedure or did I make a major mistake??
Question 2 I realize the tank is cycling and I need to be patient. Am I supposed to do a 20% water change this weekend which would have had the tank up for 5 days?? As always any help would be greatly appreciated

Dave

susitna-flower

Hi, doptash, WELCOME TO FISHLORE! :;z

This is posted under Freshwater, you will get more help for your saltwater tank if you post there......Since I am NOT SW, the only help I can give is to suggest you check out the articles at the top of this page under "ARTICLES" in the blue bar. There are set up articles on Saltwater, and the Nitrogen Cycle both of which will help you out. Good Luck and I know others here will help you out! I took a break in the middle of this post, woops...

sgould

Sounds normal...a 125 has a lot of surface area for evaporation to occur. When topping off from evaporation, do not add salt mix...just top off with conditioned fresh water, or fresh RO water. This is because evaporation removes water only...the salt stays in the tank. Therefore your SG will tend to increase as water evaporates. Topping off with fresh water counteracts that effect and keeps your SG in line.

agsansoo

No water changes during the cycle. This will prolong the cycle. The only exception to this rule is when you cycle with fish, and the ammonia or nitrite levels are too high. It's better to save the fish and prolong the process !

Are you topping off with RO/DI or tap water ?

Peterpiper

I agree with sgould and agsansoo, only top off with fresh water, RO/DI is the best. 3 gallon a day sound like a lot.
Depending on how much die off you get on the live rock, you may want to do a gravel syphon in a week and just top of with a fresh mix ( mix new water for 24hrs )

Rbacchiega

You should do your first water change AFTER your tank has cycled (be it a week, a month, whatever). Keep with the top offs, my 90 (with 33 sump) lost about 2 or 3 gallons a day until I added the glass top. Just keep checking your parameters and you'll be able to tell when the cycle is complete. As it was mentioned earlier, doing a water change now will only prolong the cycle, so, even though it REALLY sucks just staring at a tank with some rock, it's well worth it in the end

Narcicius

I don't have any saltwater right now, but sounds like your covered.

dpotash

Thanks

Thanks to all that responded. Fortunatelly business is good right now so I don't have time to be home and stare at an empty tank. But patience is something I have learned also I don't feel like killing fish just because I couldnt wait.

Narcicius

Dpotash, you'll make a great owner to whatever you decide to get, judging from the last statement you have overcome one of the biggest difficulties of owning a tank. So, when you get past that point the hardest part is over.

Rbacchiega

^ agreed!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelfish5765
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
bcfishtanks