New Tank: What to put with Angelfish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ChristyFishMom, Aug 9, 2015.

1. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

We are setting up a new tank, our first. My daughter wants an angelfish, so I am wondering what would go well with that? We are still trying to find a good stand and figure out where to put it, but we are hoping to get a 29 gallon. When you recommend a fish, please tell me why. Pretty? Easy to care for? Interesting to watch? We'd like a variety, a plecostomus or some sort of tank cleaner fish, a little school of fish (but I'm hearing these might get eaten or scare the angelfish), I think guppies are pretty, but if they have babies that would overcrowd our tank, right? I'd love any ideas you have. The angelfish is the one "must have" so far. (and yes, I am aware of the cycle, we are just in the planning stages right now.) Thanks!

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    An angelfish will get too big for a 29 gallon, I'm sorry to say.
    A pleco, depending on the type, may get too big for your tank.

3. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Agreed with Anders. Any fish that will work for a 29g may get eaten by the angelfish also. Just something to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Really? People don't keep angelfish in 29 gallons? Can you suggest something else "pretty" that my girls would like? What is a good combo of fish for a 29 gallon?

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

People do, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable. Some people keep goldfish in bowls and that surely isn't right.

I would go with a dwarf cichlid, like a ram, a school of warm water cories (at least 6 in a group), a school of cardinal tetras or black neon tetras (at least 6) and a dwarf, thick-lipped, banded, or honey gourami.

Warm water cories are: C. seussi, aeneus, sterbai, adolfoi, oiapoquensis, gossei, duplicareus, and haraldschultzi would work with rams. Make sure to have only one type as mixed and matched isn't good.

6. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I second the dwarf gourami. Here's mine:
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439137037.220339.jpg

7. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Dwarf gouramis are very pretty and they come in many colors! I have a powder blue and think he's beautiful, but a flame or honey would look great too! You could show your kids pics of the different color options available, and see what they like? I'm sure they'll love a small school of tetras or rasboras too :)

8. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Try to stay away from neon tetras though. Due to overbreeding, most of the ones found in fish stores are generally less than healthy as many people on these forums will tell you they've had problems keeping the neons alive. Cardinals are a better alternative.

9. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Rule of thumb is 20g tall for a single and 30g for a pair.

You can keep a single angel in a 29g with a few tank mates. Larger Tetras, Corys and Rams make some good tank mates.

A Mystery snail or a few Nerites would be fun to have as well. As long as the waters pH is 7.0+. Not acidic as their shells will erode.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

A 20 tall is far too small for one. They get 6 inches.... bigger in some cases.

11. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I have her talked out of the angelfish. We have some books from the library that we are looking through for ideas. I think a trip to the LFS again soon will be good now that I have some ideas of what might work/ not work. I appreciate all the tips and things I am reading here, very helpful. (cardinals instead of neons, etc)

12. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You're welcome to take notes on what fish you see and like at the LFS and come back here to see what would work well for your tank. We have lots of experienced members who can help with that!

13. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Thank you! I think she will probably be happy with some pretty guppies and a few other things. We will make a list of ones we like and then ask about them.

14. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

As a nice alternative to an angelfish, you could try any of the dwarf cichlids, such as German Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams, Kribensis, and a couple others.