New tank: what else can I add?

1. Heather12404 Member Member

So I just got a new 60G tank to replace my 29G. I'll be moving everyone from the 29 to the 60.
    Current stock:
    10 Harlequin Rasboras
    8 Orange Flame Tetras
    6 Neon Tetras
    6 Panda Cories
    2 Gold Rams
    1 Blue Ram
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    1 Sunburst Platy
    1 CPO
    4 Mystery Snails
    So after everyone is all settled in...what else can I add? I would like a fully stocked tank, but not too crowded. Plus I don't know what would work with my current stock. I would love a Rainbow Shark, but I don't think that would work with my panda cories and CPO. I love Angels too but I don't know if they'll work with my Dwarf Gourami.
    Suggestions please.

2. cameronpalte Member Member

Your rainbow shark definitely won't work and I am not so sure about about Angels. I would increase your blue rams to 2, platy to 2, I don't know what CPO is:)... neon tetra's to 9, panda cories to 8, and maybe get swordtails or guppies, those are very nice...

3. Heather12404 Member Member

CPO = dwarf crayfish
    What about Boesemani Rainbows?
    Since I have a DG I don't think I can get any other type of gourami: like Pearls or Honeys?
    I think with a tank this size I could get a BN pleco. Is there any other type of bottom feeder that I could get?

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't add very much to that tank. Upgrading to a 60g is mostly just going to give the fish you have the swimming room they'd love to have.
    You're right about other gourami. The dwarf will likely get aggressive with others. And you're right about the rainbow shark. It will probably get aggressive with the cories. You could do a bristlenose pleco or a swarm of otos.
    With the stocking you currently have, I wouldn't add a school of rainbows. It would push the bioload high pretty quickly. At most, I would add to the schools you currently have.

5. Heather12404 Member Member

So I'm thinking I'll add 2 Angelfish and 1 BN Pleco. Maybe up my current schools to 10 for nice round numbers. I would love another Blue Ram but I had to special order him and I don't want to pay $20 for shipping 1 fish.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You've got a bunch of little fish, but the top of the tank looks like it would be pretty empty. I would get a school of rainbows, but not the large ones. The blue eyes (threadfins, celebes, gertrudes, etc) are small. The largest I would get are dwarf neons or maculochis.

7. apple429 Well Known Member Member

Do you have any other friends nearby that need some fish. If you make a group order you can divide shipping costs! Or is there a fish store that is willing to special order your fish with there next purchase (that's what my LFS does, and they will occasionally charge me an extra ten percent, which isn't bad)?

8. Heather12404 Member Member

How many Dwarf Neon Rainbows should I get? I take it that Boesemani Rainbows get too big for my tank since they need to be in a school?
    Can I still get 2 Angels?
    I really don't want anymore small fish....hence why I'm trying to get some bigger fish like the angels. I'll add a few more to the schools I have just to make nice round numbers, but after that I'd rather have some larger fish so I have a nice balance of small and larger fish. I know I'll always have more small fish than larger fish.

9. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

+1

Heather, not sure if you paid attention to this post. It's very informative.

10. Heather12404 Member Member

I always read every post. The more I think about it the more I don't think I'm going to get any Rainbows. I think I'll add a few more fish to the schools I have and get 2 Angels and 1 BN Pleco and that's it.

11. jbdub Member Member

I'd be careful with the Angels. I had two for about 4 months no problem, then the male reached puberty and got very aggresive. Killed two fish before I was able to rehome him. If you want a bigger fish how about a few adult rainbow fish? They look awesome once matured.

12. Heather12404 Member Member

Can I keep just a couple of Rainbows? I thought they had to be in a school? Granted I don't know how big of a school they prefer to be in. I would ideally love to get some Boesemani Rainbows because they are just so pretty....but how many should I get?
    So does increasing my current schools and adding 1 BN Pleco and 4 Boesemani Rainbows work?

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Like I said, the large rainbows are too much for your tank. Also, rainbows have a higher schooling drive than any other family of fish, IME, so a couple won't due. They will try and school with other fish if there aren't enough, and while that may seem good to you, the other fish don't always appreciate it. Threadfins, furcatas, gertrudes, etc - those are all fish that stay small enough for you to fit them in.

14. Heather12404 Member Member

Ok, so once I decide which type of Rainbowfish to add (so many pretty ones) the question is: how many do I get?

15. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I still wouldn't add any new types fish other than a cleaner (or swarm of small cleaners). Swimming area isn't the only concern. Adding a school of rainbows, even small ones, is going to add to the tank's bioload, and you're going to see the nitrogen spiking more quickly. This can be mitigated by water changes, but the spikes are still going to shorten the fishes' lives.

If you do add rainbows, they're going to do best in groups of at least five. As Jaysee said, they have a very strong need for schooling, and five seems to be the low-end for what makes most schooling fish happy.

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, the blue eyed rainbows (blue eyes denotes that whole group of rainbows, versus the significantly larger melanotaenia species, and others) are very beautiful - I would get 6-8. They are very small and have very small mouths, so you'll need small foods. Pellets no bigger than 0.5 mm. Good news is that the pellets that small will float and stay suspended in the water for longer - all my big rainbows eat from the bottom, but IME threadfins and furcatas (and presumably the rest) do not.

17. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would up all your schools to 10 and then maybe add a BN pleco. I don't think you have space for angels plus many angels like to eat neon tetras.

I think after you up the schools you will be fully stocked.

18. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i wouldn't add an angel with the DG. they are pretty nippy little things if they wanna be. and angels don't move as fast. i have 5 pearls and 2 thick lipped gouramis in my 150, with an angel....and they are all fine. i think the reason is, the gouramis are more peaceful species, and the tank is pretty large. they actually seem like friends.

i think adding some fish to the schools you already have would be good....and maybe a BN. i have a chocolate long-finned BN and he is super cool. he is out most of the time, so i can see all his flowing fins =]