New Tank? What do you think?

1. titusxander Member Member

Hey guys! I can't believe it! I believe i may have gotten my parents to accept the idea that i want to buy a tank to put in my room. It was easy to get my dad aboard, but i had to convince my mom more, but she was pretty much agreed when i told her it would be going in my room.

What i was looking at is a 40 gallon breeder (36"Lx18"Wx16"H). I saw it at Petco today and it's priced at $109.99. I thought it was kinda high for just a tank that didn't have a tank kit with it (lights, hood, filter exc.). Then i was talking to an associate, and she said something that shocked me. She said that if i buy the tank her manager said that i could have a tank kit that came with a damaged tank for free. Amazing right? Only thing is that i don't know what size tank the kit came with. I would have looked at it tonight but my parents were ready to leave.

I even convinced my dad to help me build a book shelf to put the tank on. The bookcase would be 40"Lx20"Wx26 3/4"H. Would that be big enough or would it need to be bigger. The space it's going in is 46'Lx23"W. So what do you think guys? :;z

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I think that's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :;rocker

3. titusxander Member Member

Thanks! I'm playing around with the idea to see if i can get my parents to go back to Petco tommorrow. Or, well, i could just drive since i have my licencse and a car, but it just isn't that much fun driving yourself. I'm sure most of you that have teenagers are going to tell me to get off my lazy bum and drive myself. Am i right? :;smack :;voices

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds great! I think it's nice that you want your parents to go with you.
    It would be a good idea to find out what comes with that kit and get the manager to commit to it before he 'forgets'.

5. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

That's great! I'd say that it'd be better and fun to go with your parents, as they can share opinions and suggestions with you :) If I could drive, I wouldn't want to go alone :p

6. titusxander Member Member

Haha, you guys are so great. I might want my parents to go with me, but that don't neccessarily mean that they want to go with me. I wonder if the same people would be there tommorrow night? My luck is that the kit is going to be for a 10 gallon or something along those lines. It would be amazing though if it was for a 55 gallon. Even better if it was a Marineland and had a biowheel filter. I wonder what kind of hood and light i would have to get to fit it. Anybody know?

7. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

If the tank kit is for a tank smaller than your 55g, you could sell it on craigslist or store and keep it incase you plan to get another small tank in the future? MTS spreads! ;D The hood, you could maybe get a custom made one. But the light, I'm not so sure...

8. titusxander Member Member

What i ment by the "it would be even better if it was a 55 gallon kit" was that if i bought the 40 i would just go ahead and use the 55 gallon kit on it. Nothing like increased filtration.:) Or if it's for a smaller tank but still for a 10+ gallons i could still use it to upgrade my 10 or 20 gallon tank. Oh the ideas....:;pumpkin