New tank water

1. mldvn33 Initiate Member

I had a tank with substrate, plants and fish, cycled and all,
    I decided to make it bare bottom, took out all substrate and plants, and changed 100% of the water. The HOB filter is untouched, and I added a brand new sponge filter as well, is it safe to add the fish back, is the tank still considered cycled?

Ammonia 0, maybe some trace, can't tell too much
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5-10ppm
    pH 7.6, baseline for my tap

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings out of your tap as well or is it just the pH that's from your tap?

3. mldvn33 Initiate Member

They're all from the new water I put in out of the tap, approx. 5 hours prior to testing

4. mldvn33 Initiate Member

Just tested the water this morning and the readings are the same as yesterday

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

The trace ammonia is probably from removing the substrate but since most of the BB is in the filter media, your BB will catch up in no time. You can definitely add the fish if you haven't already. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add a dose of Prime if you have it. Just monitor the water parameters for the next couple of days.

6. mldvn33 Initiate Member

Thanks I appreciate

7. mldvn33 Initiate Member

Hey so ever since then I've been monitoring parameters and doing 90% water changes every 24 hours, and ammonia is 0.25 ppm and nitrite is 2.0 ppm after 24 hours, doesn't seem to be improving much, you think the filter isn't established yet or I don't have enough filtration?

I have 4 young juvenile discus, they seem to eat the food up pretty well, I don't think the bioload is too much, I ordered some plants maybe that'll help, what do you think?

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you know the gph on your filter? It's possible you don't have enough bio media for the BB to grow and process the ammo and high nitrites. What are your nitrates?

Can you also provide your numbers out of the tap?

9. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, you're having a large cycle bump from removing all your substrate at once, it will catch up but it would probably help to pick up some Seachem Stability to help re-establish your biofilter.

Dose prime daily for the volume of the tank and keep doing those large water changes when ammonia + nitrites gets close to 1.0.

You'll catch up but it will probably take a couple of weeks.

10. mldvn33 Initiate Member

Yea I've been adding additional BB