New Tank, Water Quality Is Perfect But Constant Fish Deaths?

1. C

Carla121567 New Member Member

I have a 10 gallon originally one very small pleco and 5 cherry barbs. All of the cherry barbs died within a week of purchasing them so I decided to give it another chance by getting 5 fancy guppies. Those are all starting to die off now and within a few days but the pleco is still fine. I do water tests on a weekly basis and everything is coming up perfect, the water temp is in the mid 70's, and I use api stress coat and ph down for the water (just a bit because it can be a little high sometimes).
    I acclimate them by floating the bag for a half hour and they go in just fine but after 5 or 6 days maybe 20170803_091107.jpg you start to see them on the bottom of the tank almost doing nothing.
    I actually work at the pet store where I purchased these from and we've never had issues like this so its definitely a problem at home. I'd be thankful for any advice.

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome! What are your exact parameters? What is the pH at home and what is it at the store?

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I too am curious as to what pH value is a little too high? Most fish can adapt to most pH levels. They can not handle swings in pH which is often what you get when trying to buffer pH. You also need to know your GH/KH if you attempt this. If that value is low, your pH is probably all over the place.

4. F

Fish-whisper Valued Member Member

Also there is more to acclimate than " floating the bag for a half hour" Click on the blue acclimate and read about it. I'm not saying that is the cause of death but it is a cause of stress which leads to problems . As others have asked what is your PH ? You say water test come up perfect, what is perfect ? I'm not one who messes with PH adjustment treatments.

Now to guessing on the fish deaths. Stress from PH fluctuations ? tank isn't really cycled ? contaminates (windex, air fresheners, carpet cleaner, bug spray...who knows what ) getting into the water from air line ? People say carbon isn't needed for aquarium, I say everyone with an air pump should have carbon filters on the air line. These filters were very popular years ago, I don't know why that stopped. Carbon filters out odors and bad things from the air.

5. leelew32

leelew32 New Member Member

My guess is that it's to do with ph. I feel you should never try to alter the ph in the tank, it causes more harm than good.

6. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member