New Tank. Very exciting!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by VennahHasFish, Aug 10, 2015.

1. VennahHasFishNew MemberMember

I've just bought my first nano aqaurium and I would like recommendations as to what to put in it. 5 gallons, I know that isn't much at all. But I've read much about it and many people have done a lot with them. I have a filter and heater, and I've cycled it, all that's missing now is the fish. Betta is an obvious choice, or ghost shrimp, let me know what else would be healthy.

I've kept fancy Goldies for three years in a twenty g, their levels are extremely well and regular. (With a Cory and pleco) I'm very capapable of maintaining healthy and happy fish in odd sized tanks.

2. MitchellmaslinValued MemberMember

I would do a planted tank with about 6 guppies

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

I would say a planted Beta aquarium would be very nice. ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp are fun too. I would not keep guppies in a 5 gallon because they do produce a lot of waste and because of their activity level. Imo they need at least a 10 gallon. I have 3 guppies in a 10 gallon and from watching them in that that would be the minimum. The only thing I keep in my 5 gallon a fry but there certainly are other options. I'm sure you'll get plenty more responses. Congratulations on your new aquarium. :;hi1

4. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!
    A betta would work or you can try Cherry Shrimp :). Guppies in a 5 gallon would not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

I would do a planted aquarium with a nice crown tail betta, some yellow shrimp and horned Bertie snails. :)

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Agreed, I would do a betta, snails and shrimp.
    A comment on your 20g stock, if I may, goldfish need a bigger tank than that, and cories and plecos shouldn't be mixed with goldfish because they are tropical fish. Also, cories need a group of 6+ of their own species.

7. DrSahlValued MemberMember

I agree with most here about the Betta and Shrimp's.

Look forward to see your tank.

8. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I agree with the suggestions regarding planting the tank and adding a betta, shrimp, and/or snails. The tank isn't large enough for much else, but it's still large enough for these fish. Good luck with your new tank! :)

9. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

I plan on doing a 5 gallon planted betta tank soon as well. Let us know how the betta does with the shrimp. From what i've seen it's really just up to the betta but i'd like to also put ghost/cherry shrimp in mine as well as a nerite or two.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice