New tank upgrade

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Joel2036, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

Hey everyone ! Hope you all had a good Christmas !

Just wondering, I have about 18 RCs in my new 17g and it just looks a bit bare at the top.
    What kind of fish would be good as a display fish ? Like is there any kind of gouramis that would nibble on the shrimp ?
    Or would a school of tetras be better ?
    Rasboras would be my first choice of small fish if not probably neons because they look nice in a planted tank I think :)
    Just need to get some more plants it looks very empty ATM !
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1356602900.786191.jpg

2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Most fish will snack on RCS shrimplets at the least. It seems like people have better luck with the smaller schoolers though so I think you are on track with the tetra idea. Maybe some nanos would suffice, I like celestial pearl danios, and there are several rasbora species that would work well.

3. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks jeta :) I will go to the LFS tomorrow and see what they have :) might look for something a bit nicer then the neons but if all else fails I'm happy with them :)

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

The only true 100% shrimp safe fish is the oto... however i have some luck with my black neons (favorite tetra ever!!!)

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Neons tend to stay low in the tank, so if you want more activity at the top of the tank then they are not the best choice.

I'm not sure about the tanks dimensions, but some blue eyed rainbows may be a good fit. There are several species that are usually available. They will stay high in the water, are active, and have mouths/throats too small to eat shrimp.

6. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks for you advice :) I will keep you posted on what I ended up choosing :)

7. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Just got back from the fish shop...with an empty wallet as usual !!!
    Got a massive piece of anubias on driftwood
    And a pot with anubias and some java moss on it aswell :) at least i think it's java moss !
    And 10 neons :)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356654411.328670.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356654433.393722.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356654446.467946.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356654459.615684.jpg

8. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Acclimate the neons SLOWLY, they have a bad habit of being extremely sensitive in the beginning.

9. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks tigress, yeah the worker told me that as well, I put them in about 45 minutes ago and they only just came out the bag about 5 minutes ago, I added some of my water every 5 minutes until the bag was pretty much full,
    They look to be doing fine they got their colour back. They are currently hiding behind the driftwood but they are slowly starting to come out :)

I was going to go with harlequins but I didn't have enough moneys:( maybe next time !!

10. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

I know you have bought the new fish, but I think hatchets will do fine in a shrimp tank - not really because they won't eat the shrimp if they got the chance, but if you give the shrimp some java moss and anchor it to the bottom, the shrimp will mostly hide in and around the moss - and the hatchets will stay in the surface. So as long as you can make the shrimp stay on the bottom (anchoring the moss down) I think the shrimp would be safe...
    Just an idea.

BTW, nice pics, very clear.

11. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I think the Neons will be ok but I agree, they usually stay lower in a tank.

As for rainbows if you decide later on that you want to go that route, I personally would go with the yellow fork tail rainbows, they are alot of fun, very active and they stay small. If not thread fin rainbows are also really nice looking fish but I find them a bit more aggressive (if you can even say that) than the yellow fork tails.

12. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks for the advice ill keep that in mind for the future ! :)
    The neons have sent my shrimp into hiding :( do you think the shrimp will get used to having them around and come out more ?
    I currently have about 16-18 shrimp in there
    And I was thinking with my next pay check get about 12 more off of a breeder I know that lives close to me, or would 30 be to many in the tank ?

I always panic when I can't see any of the shrimp !! They are my new addiction !!'started them off in a 4 gallon then it went to 8 gallon now a 20 !!
    Defiantly have a severe case of MTS
    I now have 4 tanks in my bedroom!

13. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

The breeder I get my shrimp from says that he breeds his endler guppies with his shrimp and they leave the shrimp they don't even chase them at all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice