New tank thoughts and suggestions

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello again all,

Want to say again how much of a help this forum has been to me(and to an extent my 2 year old son that this tank is for, at least that is the story i used to convince my wife to let me get it).

Here is a vid of tank setup. Again, this is my first tank so any suggestions or concerns you have will be greatly appreciated.

It is a 46G bowfront.

There are 7 rosy barbs, 3 orange mollies, 2 black mollies, 2 dalmation mollies, 2 cory cats and 1 peacock eel. I have has 2 molly deaths in the last few days(1 black and 1 dalmation thus down to 2 of each), but i think it is because the are being harrased by the biggest of the orange mollies.

I am keeping the tank at 78 degrees, but it fluctuates from 78 to 80 through out the day.

I keep the light on from 7am to 8pm. Right now it is a standard flourescant buld, but in your experience is flourescanr better/worse/different than incandescants? I would like to use incandescants so i can set up a slow dim on/off in the morning and at night to mimic sunrise/set instead of the instant on/off that a flourescant requires.

The bubbles stay on 24 hours a day.

The log and driftwood tower are fake, but there is a small block of real wood that i got used from petco that has a good algea growth on it already.

i was using aquarium salt to begin with(advice from petsmart) but have noticed that is not widly used and i will no longer add any and let it get removed throug frequent water changes.

I am using mostly flake food, with sinking algea wafers and shrimp pellets for the corys. I also have sinking carnivore pellets and frozen blood worms for the eel that i drop in at bedtime(10-11pm).

If there is anytything i am missing please let me know.

Again, thanks for all the brains i have been able to pick through reading the forums here.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore matt!!
your tank looks awesome!
im sorry for your losses though most of our fw fish do not require salt to live...its more of an old school way and stress coat will be enough for them...I do know your cories and your eel probably wont care for it a bit and could cause more deaths with them...so I would stop using that and do a few water changes to remove it....do you know your readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates at this point? the tank is so new, im wondering how it was cycled so fast....also, no need to mess with the ph a bit....a stable ph, is ok for most fish and when you use products like ph down/up, it moves the ph so fast, thats more stress than a higher one...some more natural ways to lower it, can be some peat moss in your filter or a piece of real driftwood with tannis....but again, most fish will acclimate to the higher ph as long as it doesnt fluctuate....good luck!

edit: LOVE your daughters narration

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to the forum.

Can't see the video, as I'm at work. But I'll check it out later.

Shawnie pretty much covered everything, so I'll just say hi and will check back when I see the tank.

mattmf1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thanks for deleting that duplicate from here, i was just about to do that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom