New Tank Syndrome?

benandjerry

Reaction score
6 weeks ago I went and got an aquarium and everything that goes with it and began fishless cycling. 2 weeks later and I took a water sample to a pet store (small business, the owner is always the one I talk to and seems to know his stuff). It was tested and I was told I was good to go. I bought 2 black moors and 1 fantail for my 29 gallon tank. All 3 are currently babies. I have tested the water multiple times in the last 4 weeks and the ammonia is always between .5 and 1 ppm, nitrite at 0 and nitrate at 5 or less. It’s been the same for the last 4 weeks. I have been doing water changes everything few days and have only been lightly feeding my 3 fishes once every 2-3 days. My fish aren’t showing any signs of ammonia toxicity. I’m baffled and don’t know what to do.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
6 weeks ago I went and got an aquarium and everything that goes with it and began fishless cycling. 2 weeks later and I took a water sample to a pet store (small business, the owner is always the one I talk to and seems to know his stuff). It was tested and I was told I was good to go. I bought 2 black moors and 1 fantail for my 29 gallon tank. All 3 are currently babies. I have tested the water multiple times in the last 4 weeks and the ammonia is always between .5 and 1 ppm, nitrite at 0 and nitrate at 5 or less. It’s been the same for the last 4 weeks. I have been doing water changes everything few days and have only been lightly feeding my 3 fishes once every 2-3 days. My fish aren’t showing any signs of ammonia toxicity. I’m baffled and don’t know what to do.
You’re overstocked. You should only have 2 of the fish maximum.

Also, what’s your filtration and WC schedule?

Can you check your tap water for ammonia?

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm guessing your tank was never cycled.
First of all two weeks is a short time for a fishless cycle to complete. If you didn't test the water for the first two weeks before you brought a sample to your local fish store, I don't know how it would even be possible for you to know how much and when to add ammonia.
You'll have to carry out water changes until ammonia is at 0, until your tank cycles with the fish in it. You could also remove the fish and complete the fishless cycle you started.

benandjerry

Reaction score
You’re overstocked. You should only have 2 of the fish maximum.

Also, what’s your filtration and WC schedule?

Can you check your tap water for ammonia?
I have the aqueon filter that came with the tank. Is WC water change? I’ve been doing 25%-50-% water changes every 3-6 days.
Also, no ammonia in the tap water.

I'm guessing your tank was never cycled.
First of all two weeks is a short time for a fishless cycle to complete. If you didn't test the water for the first two weeks before you brought a sample to your local fish store, I don't know how it would even be possible for you to know how much and when to add ammonia.
You'll have to carry out water changes until ammonia is at 0, until your tank cycles with the fish in it. You could also remove the fish and complete the fishless cycle you started.
How long do you think it’ll take to get to 0. I can’t remove the fish because I don’t have anything to do with them.

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How long do you think it’ll take to get to 0. I can’t remove the fish because I don’t have anything to do with them.
Wont take long through water changes, but it will take a while to cycle the tank which you'll have to go through.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom