New Tank Suggestions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mosborn814, Apr 12, 2018.

1. mosborn814New MemberMember

Hello all,

I’ve recently just completed cycling a new 20 gallon tank. I’ve had a 5 gallon fluval for a few years with a male halfmoon betta and decided to add a new addition. After the cycle was complete, I added 3 serpae tetras and plan on adding 3 more after my tank adjusts to the first 3 for a total of 6. May consider adding a total of 8. My question is what would be a good centerpeice fish? Should I stop with the school of serpaes? I would like to add one more fish that does well on its own and won’t be an easy target for the serpaes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. jaymethyValued MemberMember

You could definetely put in a small shoal (6 or so) cory catfish. There are a few smaller variations that would work. I personally love the panda corys. They are bottom dwellers, so shouldn't interact with your tetras too much.

3. mosborn814New MemberMember

I’m afraid adding 6 more of another school would be too much for my 20 gallon. Thats why I was kind of thinking about a loner that could handle their aggressiveness. You don’t think adding 6 cories would be too much?

4. FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

Red Minor Tetra are fin nippers. How have they not stressed your betta to death? They have a habit of ripping up long fins, right?

And you could add a school of corydoras habrosus or pygmaeus.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  5. mosborn814New MemberMember

The betta has its own 5 gallon. This is a new tank.

By
    By addding a new addition, I meant adding a new tank, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  6. jaymethyValued MemberMember

I think 12 fish in the 20G should be fine. Especially because those two species inhabit different regions of the tank.

I'm not thinking of any loners that would stand up well to a shoal of fin nippers.... someone else might have a good suggestion though.

7. Kristian AcevedoValued MemberMember

I keep 5 serpae tetras with a DG, and have never had any issues with fin nipping, my DG is the king of the tank. I think you could up the serpaes to 8-10, and get a school of cories, 6-10 and be just fine, your tank can easily handle that. They live in two different areas of the tank and neither of the two species have any sort of massive bioload.

8. GalathielWell Known MemberMember

Maybe you could list the fish that interest you and we can see which would work for your new aquarium. I personally love platies and would probably do at least three (all one sex). There are so many great colors and platies don't get as large as mollies or swords. I also have a DG and really like him. I'm not sure about a DG with the tetras since I've never done that. Mine is with feeder endlers and doesn't bother them at all.