New tank stocking ideas please!

1. Bmur05 Member Member

Ok. So mts has set in. After having so much fun with my daughter's tank, I'm ready to start my own. Waiting to pick it up, it's a 35 gallon bowfront ( bigger would have been more fun, but this works better in the living room and the wife is more approving).

There are two things I want to plan this tank around, kuhli loaches, and red cherry shrimp.

I'm looking for all ideas on what to stock with these. I may keep it just those two for a while, but I'm curious what you guys think would work with this tank. I was thinking about some galaxy Rasbora's for a schooling fish, hoping they'd be shrimp friendly.

Any ideas for a centerpiece fish? Looking forward to the inputs!

2. Airth Member Member

Kuhli's are a great choice. Fun little guys to watch. Celestial Pearl Danios would work I believe. Just make sure anything else you add to the tank is temperature compatible with 75-78 degree temperatures.

I'd personally look into something that may be able to give a larger range of temperatures. It would allow for more options in stocking. The danios would work though.

I have a school of cherry barbs for my schooling fish. They're colorful and I haven't had any issues with them being with my ghost shrimp.

3. Bmur05 Member Member

I agree with maybe going for a wider range of temp compatibility. With RCS being so much smaller though, would the barbs pose more of a risk?

The kuhlis are going to love the bigger tank. Also, in that size, would I be able to have a school of Cory's as well you think? They are so much fun to watch too!

4. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

5. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

You could do a large school of the kuhli loaches at least a dozen , a large school of the CPDs, celestial pearl danios, aka galaxy rasboras. How about another school of neon tetras as well. They should all be fine with adult shrimp and they all have small mouths so your shrimp at least the bigger ones should do well. You could also add 1 male and 1 or 2 female honey gourami . they are very peaceful with them selves and other fish and come in a nice yellow color. Dwarf gourami can be pretty feisty. The honeys are a little smaller and would hang around the top level. Alison....:;hi2

6. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

You can do cardinal tetras instead of neons. I like my subset wag platys and my black phantom tetras

7. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I like my group of corys and my 1 RTS

8. Bmur05 Member Member

Definitely lots of kuhlis! I'm really wanting a couple honey gourami, I was wondering how they would do with the shrimp. I'll add them to the list! Thanks! And neons are on the possibility list since they are shall enough and fun to watch.

I really like the platys too and want to do a live-bearer, I think I might add a couple of those in there. Add it to the list!

I love the Cory's too, what is rts?

How are the cardinals about being aggressive towards smaller baby shrimp?

Ooh, red tail shark? What all do you house them with?

9. octavio Member Member

Cardinal tetras won't even notice there are shrimp scurrying around. Neon tetras will be the same. But Neons are a bit more hardy. Good luck with your new tank.

10. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I house GBR's, mollys, swordtails, x ray tetras, DG, platy, cory and my oto kittens (they are not caled that but I call them kittens instead of cats :D )

11. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Cardinal like warmer temps than the neons which prefer cooler temps which is why I suggested the, A red tailed shark would need a much bigger tank than what you have, Sorry about that, Alison

12. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I have him in a 50 and I think that is the minimum...right aliray?

13. Bmur05 Member Member

I figured that about the rts. Maybe on the next one. I'll have to look at temps and figure out which will go well between the cardinals and neons. The CPDs do like cooler temps right 72 to 78?
    If I have kuhlis in there, do you guys think I'd have room for some Cory's?

Possibilities...
    10-12 kuhli loaches
    10 RCS to start and see where breeding goes
    3 honey gouramis
    1 albino BNP (because I love these guys)
    Either a school of 6+ cardinal or neons
    Or 3 platys

14. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Maybe if you want a group of at least 6 corys....take out the option of 6 cardinals or platys and just have 6 corys. How long do the kuhli loaches get? What are RCS?

15. Bmur05 Member Member

The kuhlis only get about 2.5 inches long, and very easy going. And the other must have is the red cherry shrimp (RCS) but that's pretty minimal on the bio load for them.

16. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Bmur05 When you do get your ABN my alltime favorite fish, Look on page 3 halfway down on the thread PLECOS!! Share Yours , I wrote up a post on feeding BN plecos their fruits and veggies. Also make sure you have real driftwood for them. I would stick with the abn, kuhlis , and shrimp on the bottom instead of adding coryies as well. Alison;)

17. Bmur05 Member Member

I'll find it now. Thanks. And thank you for the input. I'll just have to keep it with those three types on the bottom. I'm definitely looking for a good piece of driftwood. I'll start posting pictures as I get it together.

18. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Looking forward to it. Happy shopping. Alison:;hi1

19. Bmur05 Member Member

We do have one abn in my daughter's tank. We have some driftwood in there that he loves, but I almost never see him on the veggies I drop in there or the algea wafers. He does like the shrimp pellets though.

20. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Neons and CPDs both need cooler temps. I'd go with cardinals, if you go with the the cardinals, you could get a german blue ram, if you go with neons, you could get a bolivian ram. IMO