New tank stocking check/advice?

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Valued Member Member

Tank (80 litre long) has been cycled fishless with filter medium from Aquaponic system and fish food for 4 weeks, not much of a spike I have to admit. Heavily planted. I have goldfish in my Aquaponic system and have only experienced tropical a in childhood. ( I washed the filter sponge with fairy liquid to be good, the fish and my dad did not appreciate it at all
    So, I put my first 6 Harlequin Tetras in today but I am not sure if squad aquadvisor is accurate enough, it says I have more than enough filter capacity and about 90 % or so filled with this stocking:
    6 Harlequin Tetras (already in)
    5 Endlers
    6 Neon or Kardinal Tetras
    2 Dwarf or Pearl Gourami
    2 BN Plecos.

Any thoughts anyone? Would really appreciate advice!!!
    I could extend my filter easily and really loved my dad's pleco...
    Thanks guys!

2. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

Hi Harlequin and welcome to Fishlore!

Your stocking list sounds great for a 30 gallon tank, but I see that your tank is only 20 gallons. Aquadvisor is good for calculating filtration, but not for the space required for the fish themselves as far as their activity level and behavior goes. A Clown Pleco or two can fit in the 20 gallon tank, but not a Bristlenose. A Dwarf Gorami can fit in a 20 but the Pearl will need a 30 gallon tank as well.
    Here would be the revised stocking list:
    6 Harlequins
    6 Cardinal Tetras (bolder colors and less fragile than the neons)
    5 Endlers (male only unless you want a population exlposion leading to poor health)
    1 Dwarf Gourami (if you want 2 you would have to get a male and female but that may not be successful)
    1 or 2 Clown Plecos

I hope this is helpful.

3. OP
    OP
    Harlequin

Need stocking help

Thanks for your reply, it made me realise I do need help with right stocking.
    Tank is about 22 gallon and long, I searched the net and most pages state 20 gallon long is minimum for bn pleco?
    How about
    6 Harlequins
    6 cardinal Tetras
    2 Dwarf Gouramis male and female (or alternative) and
    1 or 2 bristle nose pleco, male and female?
    Any help so much appreciated!!!

4. B

Bbarb27 Valued Member Member

Unless you plan to breed them, I would opt for only one bristlenose pleco in a 20 gallon tank. Their bio load can be pretty high, especially for a newly cycled tank.

I had a bristlenose leap out of a 20, as they are relatively short tanks. I would suggest a cover!

5. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

There are a lot of pages that have slightly different information regarding tank sizes. I stick with the Fishlore information, especially when it comes to tank size, because the members help create the profiles from the experiences they have had with the fish. If a fish profile starts off as a 20 gallon tank requirement and then it was bumped to 30, there must have been a good reason for it. If you want to give it a try, it is your choice, but check the Fishlore profiles and comments so you can make an informed decision. I would also suggest that you start with one and, depending on the activity level after about a month, if you think you can fit one more, give it a try, but always have a back-up plan if it doesn't work out. You may have to return one of your gouramis or plecos if there isn't enough space or if the gouramis don't get along with each other.
    https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-DwarfGourami.htm
    https://www.fishlore.com/profile-bristlenose-pleco.htm

6. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

How about 6 harlequins and a gourami or two to three endlers? Or 5 endlers and a gourami. Or either 5 endlers or a gourami with a clown plec?

7. OP
    OP
    Harlequin

Thanks!

Thanks for all your answers, I have now planned
    6 neon tetras ( lfs only has fully grown cardinals)
    1 bristlenose
    6 Harlequin Rasboras
    2 Dwarf Gourami male and female

Lfs has all these in tiny, bn plecos are about 1.5 " and sooooo cute!

AND I am so hooked I'll put away 10 per week to get a bigger tank by the time they have grown

8. OP
    OP
    Harlequin

Update... 6 months and 7 tanks later ...
    What has happened to me???