New Tank stocking Advice

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by james211, Jul 21, 2015.

1. j

james211 New Member Member

So I just setup a 12 gallon tank that is currently cycling. I'm trying to get my stocking list in order and need some advice as I don't know what fish will work together nor do I completely understand how many fish I can put in my tank. Ideally I'd love it if I could have some small schoolers of some sort as well as something a bit more predominant in the tank. So here are a few that have caught my eye.

Neon tetra
    Killifish
    Zebra Danio
    Pearl Danio

Any other suggestions?

I appreciate your help!

2. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

Hello james! Welcome to fishlore if you're new!

I have neon tetra in my tank....I also had zebra danio at one point but was advised by multiple people on this forum that they have different requirements....

The zebra requires a lower temp and higher water flow rate then the neons..... that's what I was told about them anyway.

Solid piece of advice I can give is Def don't over stock! Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Unfortunately, with that size of tank, you're pretty limited. Definitely no schooling fish.

Your best options are probably a betta (and nothing else) or a handful of guppies (4-5) or maybe a couple of platys.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Sorry to say but none of these fish will work. The danios and tetras are schooling fish and need at least 6+ and will require 20 gallons or more. In a 12 gallon all you can really do is guppies or a betta and some shrimps/snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Unfortunately most of the fish on your list won't work in your tank, there are some killifish that may work, someone who keeps them will be able to help.
    A few options for your tank would be ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, sparkling gourami, chilli rasboras or a single Betta

6. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

EricV is our resident Killifish expert he can chime in on their care at some point. You could definitely get some Celestial Pearl Danios, they wont necessarily school, but they will shoal. Shoaling meaning theyll kind of hang out in a group, but wont school in a tight group. Ember Tetras would be your go to fish if you want so see actual schooling. Just curious, what are the dimensions of the tank? The length vs height plays a part as well. If its a long 12g youd be fine with schoolers like the Ember Tetras. If its a tall however they are not ideal at all for schooling fish.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

8. OP
    OP
    j

james211 New Member Member

I appreciate recommendations. Thank you.

9. t

tejas Valued Member Member

I dont think you should put zebra danios , because they get nippy in a small aquarium(personal experience) . Neons will be nice also a pair of killifish or u could put a dwarf gourami and add 2 blue shrimp

10. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Neons and dwarf gouramis both should be in at least 20G.

11. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

Dwarf gourami for sure! I started with 2 dwarf gourami in a 10g and they were not too happy after the first 6 weeks.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. t

tejas Valued Member Member

Ya read up on dat sorry abt wrng advice, bt blue shrimp will look cool, here's a pic

Sent from my D2533 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

13. Ovenmitts

Ovenmitts Valued Member Member

I think you could do African Dwarf Frogs. Or a betta. Guppies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice