New tank. Starting over. Black moor help

1. Emilynn55 Member Member

So... I posted on here about a month ago. I had started my first fish tank 6 goldfish - 10 gal tank and all except my pleco died. Before I get reamed I have now upgraded to a 55 gal tank and now have two black moors, a calico, and the pleco.
    Since we just started the tank my water parameters are still a smidge off but we are taking the necessary steps to work them out.
    Question one
    Can I get any more fish?
    My pleco is a leopard pleco (I think)

Question two
    One of my moors has a few gold color scales coming through
    The other has a tiny silver spot
    Is this normal?

Please no harsh comments. Again 2nd fish tank. Round two. Trying this again.

Emilynn

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406040053.551831.jpg best pic I could get of my pleco. Have to wait till I get home to take pics of the other two.

Emilynn

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406041137.282142.jpg actual tank

Emilynn

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Its fairly common for your black moor to get some scales of color. They are part of the carp family and are usually extremely hardy but are fish that carry a high bioload. Two in your 55g tank is about all I would recommend as they require about 30g for one and at least 20g per extra. I really wouldn't recommend any other fish if you also have a pleco in the tank as they also have a extremely high bioload.

One question I have is what do you keep your Temp at and how much do you clean your tank? I really recommend gold fish to have a species only tank as they like a little cooler water than most tropical fish. Also like to have highly oxygenated water with slower moving currents.

As for your pleco in that picture it looks like a Common pleco. (not sure but looks like one to me) He will outgrow your tank as common's need 100+ gallon tanks. They also have a little different water requirements than your goldfish as they like fast moving currents, driftwood to latch on to, and caves to get out of the lights in the daytime. Their eyes are really sensitive to light.

3. Emilynn55 Member Member

We have little tube cave things for the pleco lots of air stones for the goldfish. He's a very active pleco he's had no problems since we have put him in there. We are actually just raising the pleco until he outgrows the tank and then we are going to give him to a friend who had a pretty big tank. We clean the tank about every two weeks. We are still trying to establish a ecosystem for them tho.

Emilynn

4. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Sounds like you have everything planned out pretty good. I'm not too sure about stocking more fish in there, maybe somebody else would have some insight on this too, I am no professional! ;)

5. Emilynn55 Member Member

We are trying to be more educated this time. Last time the pet store told us we could stick six goldfish it one tank and they all got ich and died except for our pleco squishy.

Emilynn

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

He looks like my Grunt, he was a Leopard Sailfin Pleco, one of my favorites. He was a newbie purchase got him at 3 inches, he grew a little over a foot and threw 3 tanks before I finally caved and re-homed him. I'd suggest sooner the better, you'll quickly become over-stocked with his growth rate, mine grew between .5-1in a month. Doesn't leave you much time in a 55 gal also less time with the enormous bio-load goldfish have.

Also:

Do you have a sweet spot for goldies? Have u ever tried Tropical? Sometimes you have more options when stocking because they don't require the water space goldfish need. But I'm glad you didn't give up or get discouraged and are taking the initiative to better yourself by doing more research, your fish will thank you greatly each time you become more knowledgeable, the hard work will pay off :)

7. Emilynn55 Member Member

He's four inch now but we think he had stopped growing he hasn't grown in a month.
    Hate to rehome him he's my favorite.

Emilynn

8. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yeah one of the hardest things i've ever had to do in all of the years I've had fish was to give up Grunt. If I would have known he was gonna be a monster fish I would have never bought him, but those pesky pet stores. I think the stunt could be due to his environment, even his diet. I use to make my own food and feed frozen, which could have contributed to his growth rate. Do you mainly feed wafers?

Well maybe he would be the perfect excuse for a pond?!?!?
    I know I tried that one....

9. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Ah the dreaded Pet store salesmen! I am extremely lucky, my Wal-Mart and my LFS (Local Fish Store) are very informed and take insanely good care of all the tanks!

10. Emilynn55 Member Member

Yes I feed him/her 3-4 wafers once a day. The same thing happened to me got him at petsmart and they said he would stop growing at 6 inches and he was in my first 10 gal tank. Came on here asked what was happening to my other fish then got reamed for having him in a 10 my boyfriend recently got us the 55g from a yard sale (paid 10 dollars for a 600 dollar tank) came with a built in base. We have re established the tank then added the fish they all seem to be doing fine my moors do like to try and eat the plecos wafers tho and kind of fight over them (that's when I noticed the silver spots on the one and gold on the other).

Emilynn

11. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hey Emily. I remember everything you went through and I think you are pretty much stocked. Black Moors get quite large even as fancy goldfish go.

The only thing I would suggest is more water changes than once every 2 weeks. Goldfish LOVE them and they are going to be necessary to deal with the nitrates from everyone in your tank.

I have 4 very small, young goldfish in a 29g till they move to the 75g and I do 40% water changes 2-3x/week. Once every two weeks really won't do
    Goldfish need not only toxin - free but also simply fresh water to grow and thrive :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. Emilynn55 Member Member

I do love my fancy Goldie's they are my babies. I have looked at tetras and other tropicals they really don't suit me like the Goldie's (I think it's their coloring.) but I do like Cory cats. Wanted one of them but the pet store was out. I now buy all my fish from a store called "The Fish Place"

Emilynn

We haven't done more frequent water changes because of re establishing the tank. We are going to do a gravel sifting soon as well. Going home after work and also checking the water prams as well. We invested in an API fresh water test and adjust kit.

Emilynn

And to crissandra (sorry about spelling) my boyfriend I are in the young adult apartment stages of life we can't have a pond right now sadly :(

Emilynn

But does anyone know if that's normal for a moor to start showing silver or gold scales??

Emilynn

13. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

It's normal usually. I would not worry.

However when you are cycling with fish it is necessary to do more water changes, not less. Yes it will slow the cycle but it's more important to protect the fish.

If you are still getting readings I would really suggest SafeStart.

Good you got the API fresh water test kit but by adjuster do you mean pH adjuster? If so please do not use it. Goldfish esp tolerate and EXTRAORDINARY range of pH values but what they do not tolerate are wide swings, which pH adjusters cause. If your pH is anywhere between 6 and 8 I would just leave it be. And if it isn't then there are better methods at managing pH than adjuster kits.

14. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Yeah its better for fish to adapt to their tank than survive off the chemicals making it to their conditions.

15. Emilynn55 Member Member

Yeah we figured that one out. They are in a 7.8 pH lvl right now
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 40 (i think don't remember what my boyfriend told me but sounds in the ballpark)

I came home and my calico now has a slight tear in his dorsal fin. Doesn't look like tail rot or fin rot could but it wasn't there this morning when I left for work does that sometimes happen?

Emilynn

I am also doing a water change tomorrow is it ok to condition the water with the fish In it??

Emilynn

16. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I usually just condition the water while it is still in the bucket, then pour the water into the tank. You can put water conditioner in the tank, but you need to add enough water contidioner to treat the entire tank, not just the amount of water you are adding.

17. Emilynn55 Member Member

Alright thanks motodude

Emilynn

18. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Fin tears happen. These are clumsy fish. Just check your current. Also it's spawning season and they could be doing it to each other. Keep the water clean, food good and maybe add something like melafix or fish protector to help him heal.

Those nitrates are a bit high. Generally you want them never above 20ppm. I keep mine between 5 and 10ppm. When nitrates are low, I feel those little issues like fin tears or constipation occur less.

19. Emilynn55 Member Member

Took in a sample to my lfs they said it could be high because my tank is still establishing and said to check it again in a few days.

Emilynn

20. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Yes, it could be high because the tank is cycling but the only thing that's going to remove those nitrates are water changes. And since the tank is still cycling, all the more reason to do them.

Sigh, LFS employees.