New Tank Start Up

  • Thread starter

JesusIsLord

New Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Experience
Just started
hey ! I just recently started up my 10 gallon tank. I use Tetra AquaSafe the first day of cycling. The next day I noticed bubbles foaming and sticking together at the top of the tank. Also this day was when I turned on the heater. The 3rd day when I looked at the tank I noticed that it has a cloudy white film to it. What should I do next? Do I do something wrong?
 

Caleb Smith

Valued Member
Messages
454
Reaction score
174
Points
73
Experience
1 year
What form of filtration are you using. The white film is Biofilm and should be broken up the surface agitation of a filter.
 
  • Thread starter

JesusIsLord

New Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Experience
Just started

musserump09

Well Known Member
Messages
847
Reaction score
141
Points
73
Experience
3 years
Do you have any fish in the tank?
 
  • Thread starter

JesusIsLord

New Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Experience
Just started
No I want the tank to cycle first
 

Rainbows and Fishes

Valued Member
Messages
253
Reaction score
117
Points
63
Experience
2 years
I assume as the cycle continues this "white film" will go away. Often times the water during cycling will have imbalances that can cause odd films and algae to thrive. Once the cycle is completed these nutrients will dissipate and things should go back to normal.
 

Frozen One

Valued Member
Messages
333
Reaction score
87
Points
38
Experience
Just started
this is normal and not something I would worry about. Get something that is aquarium safe and swirl the water around. another option is to replace that filter with a better one. For my 10 gallon, I use an Aquaclear 20 and it is absolutely amazing
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Messages
10,469
Reaction score
9,533
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
JesusIsLord said:
hey ! I just recently started up my 10 gallon tank. I use Tetra AquaSafe the first day of cycling. The next day I noticed bubbles foaming and sticking together at the top of the tank. Also this day was when I turned on the heater. The 3rd day when I looked at the tank I noticed that it has a cloudy white film to it. What should I do next? Do I do something wrong?
Welcome to fishlore

Ok, you say you added AquaSafe. That product is just a water conditioner. Are you sure it is AquaSafe or could it be Tetra Safe Start Plus? The TSS+ is a bottled bacteria. The aquasafe won't do anything to start your cycle. What are you using for your ammonia source?

You may want to read up on the steps that need to be taken to be successful while cycling without fish. The link below should help you.

Nitrogen Cycle
 

Frozen One

Valued Member
Messages
333
Reaction score
87
Points
38
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Welcome to fishlore

Ok, you say you added AquaSafe. That product is just a water conditioner. Are you sure it is AquaSafe or could it be Tetra Safe Start Plus? The TSS+ is a bottled bacteria. The aquasafe won't do anything to start your cycle. What are you using for your ammonia source?

You may want to read up on the steps that need to be taken to be successful while cycling without fish. The link below should help you.

Nitrogen Cycle
Hey just a question... So ever since I've fully understood the cycling process I have been thinking it is often over-complicated lol would you agree? It seems to be so simple, and a lot of it is just waiting. Also to the OP I would recommend seachem prime and seachem stability over any Tetra products
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Messages
10,469
Reaction score
9,533
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
Jake21 said:
Hey just a question... So ever since I've fully understood the cycling process I have been thinking it is often over-complicated lol would you agree? It seems to be so simple, and a lot of it is just waiting. Also to the OP I would recommend seachem prime and seachem stability over any Tetra products
Yep, time and patience There really isn't anything complicated when it comes to cycling a tank. You add a food source, in this case ammonia (either fish, fish food or bottled ammonia) and the bacteria starts growing.
 
  • Thread starter

JesusIsLord

New Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Yep, time and patience There really isn't anything complicated when it comes to cycling a tank. You add a food source, in this case ammonia (either fish, fish food or bottled ammonia) and the bacteria starts growing.
Even if I added the tetra safe start?

mattgirl said:
Welcome to fishlore

Ok, you say you added AquaSafe. That product is just a water conditioner. Are you sure it is AquaSafe or could it be Tetra Safe Start Plus? The TSS+ is a bottled bacteria. The aquasafe won't do anything to start your cycle. What are you using for your ammonia source?

You may want to read up on the steps that need to be taken to be successful while cycling without fish. The link below should help you.

Nitrogen Cycle
First I added the tetra AquaSafe. Ran that for a day and it got cloudy the next. Then today I add the tetra safe start.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Messages
10,469
Reaction score
9,533
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
JesusIsLord said:
First I added the tetra AquaSafe. Ran that for a day and it got cloudy the next. Then today I add the tetra safe start.
Great. TSS+ is bottled bacteria. You will still need to add an ammonia source to feed that bacteria though.
 
  • Thread starter

JesusIsLord

New Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Great. TSS+ is bottled bacteria. You will still need to add an ammonia source to feed that bacteria though.
They should really put this stuff on the bottle..
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Messages
10,469
Reaction score
9,533
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
JesusIsLord said:
They should really put this stuff on the bottle..
You are right, they really should. It may just be the way my mind works but I sometimes wonder if they do that on purpose. If the first bottle doesn't work folks often buy more thinking they might have done something wrong the first time.

It used to be folks mostly did fish in cycles so the fish would be adding the ammonia source. Now a lot of folks are doing it fish-less and if they don't think to check places like this they don't realize that they have to feed the bacteria for it to grow. they just assume everything they need is in the bottle.
 

Frozen One

Valued Member
Messages
333
Reaction score
87
Points
38
Experience
Just started
I no longer find any point in doing fishless cycles lol
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Messages
10,469
Reaction score
9,533
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
Frozen One said:
I no longer find any point in doing fishless cycles lol
I've always cycled with fish but I do understand those that choose not to put fish through the cycling process. It takes a lot more work when lives are at stake. Water changes and lots of them are necessary to keep the fish healthy but if one is willing and able to do the work fish in cycles just plain work and work well.
 
  • Thread starter

JesusIsLord

New Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
You are right, they really should. It may just be the way my mind works but I sometimes wonder if they do that on purpose. If the first bottle doesn't work folks often buy more thinking they might have done something wrong the first time.

It used to be folks mostly did fish in cycles so the fish would be adding the ammonia source. Now a lot of folks are doing it fish-less and if they don't think to check places like this they don't realize that they have to feed the bacteria for it to grow. they just assume everything they need is in the bottle.
I definitely agree a way for people to buy more of their products.

So what would be better should I buy fish food or a fish??
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Messages
10,469
Reaction score
9,533
Points
758
Experience
More than 10 years
JesusIsLord said:
So what would be better should I buy fish food or a fish??
If you want to do a fish-less cycle you can buy pure ammonia. A lot of folks say that Ace Hardware has it. When I say pure ammonia I just mean ammonia with nothing added to it such as soap or any kind of fragrance to cover the odor. You can know if it is pure ammonia by shaking it. If it foams and the foam doesn't immediately go away it has soap in it.

JesusIsLord said:
They should really put this stuff on the bottle..
JesusIsLord said:
I definitely agree a way for people to buy more of their products.
I got to thinking about this and to be fair to the company that makes TSS+ I have to point out that they designed their product to be used to cycle a tank with fish as the ammonia source. In that case there was no need for them to say anything about adding ammonia.
 

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Messages
649
Reaction score
212
Points
78
Experience
Just started
Frozen One said:
this is normal and not something I would worry about. Get something that is aquarium safe and swirl the water around. another option is to replace that filter with a better one. For my 10 gallon, I use an Aquaclear 20 and it is absolutely amazing
I agree. I upgraded from my top fin power 40 to a aqua clear 50 and I like it so much better.
If u do switch. Cut as my floss off the carbon filter as possible. That's where any of your BB will be at. The plastic bio thing is junk imo. But it wouldn't hurt to just put in your tank just in case it has any BB on it.
 
  • Thread starter

JesusIsLord

New Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Points
3
Experience
Just started
The fish tank process has just turned into a bigger project than what I expected. Thanks for everyone’s input. My fish tank is clear due to steps I took that were not mentioned.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom