New Tank Size Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Livielupop, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Livielupop

Livielupop Valued Member Member

Right now I have a 10 gallon fish tank with my lovely 3 platies and growing babies. I know once they grow up I will need more space for them. I've been wanting a new tank forever and was wondering what size I should get. I'm thinking a 29 gallon or something around that. I just know I can't have a super big tank in my room cause there is literally no space for like a 55. I just don't know if 29 is big enough for me...maybe like a 36 or something. :;dk:)

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

I believe if the only fish you are keeping are the platies, the 29g should be more than enough. More to power to you too, as they are going on sale right now at Petco for $29!

3. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

As big as you can fit and afford. Bigger is always better, as it gives you more stocking options and easier water parameter control. 29 is a pretty good standard size, given your space limitations.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

A 29 gallon should be perfect for those fish. :) and welcome to Fishlore!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

Livielupop Valued Member Member

Awesome!! I will check it out soon then☺️

✨Liv✨

6. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

29 is a good size, however, the bigger the tank you get believe it or not that easier it is to maintain.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I believe the OP mentioned they have space issues :eek:

8. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Ya I know, but just saying if there is room for a bigger tank then i'd go with a bigger tank if possible.

9. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

The bigger the better! A 29 will be fine, though, unless you plan to keep all the fry from your platies and keep them breeding at the same time, because it won't take long before you'll be at max capacity if you breed them and keep all the fry. But for right now it should be fine! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice