New Tank Shopping

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Livielupop, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Livielupop

Livielupop Valued Member Member

Today I will be going out to buy a new tank from petco with their $1 per gallon sale. My thing is, I hate to admit it, I never have actually done a nitrogen cycle and need to know what to get to do the process.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Fishless cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Livielupop

Livielupop Valued Member Member

Yes of course☺️

Oh I left out some important info. I am getting a 29 gallon. I own a API tester kit and know how to use it. I understand the fish less nitrogen cycle but don't know what are the best products to use in it and that's my main question really

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  4. Dom90

5. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

If you can't find that ACE brand, be sure to check the ingredients label on the bottle, and make sure there are no surfactants. All the ammonia carried by my local grocery store AND hardware store have surfactants, unfortunately.

6. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

You can do it in a few ways and I am sure alot of people will tell you the different ways.
    I normaly use a bacteria to speed up the cycle and they allow you to put fish in very fast (it says 24 hours, but I normaly wait a few days) I can recommend both Tetra Safe Start and Bactozym.

But if you have patience then maybe you should do it without those products.

7. Dom90

OP already said they are doing a fishless cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

The two products still speed up the process :) with or without fish.

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A fishless cycle can also be done using safe start & ammonia

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice