New Tank Setup

Delcos

Wanted some advice on a new tank set up. I’ve kept a planted 30g for a couple years now so I know the basics of keeping a tank. Just purchased a 90g w/ a fluval Fx4, two Fluval 110, some lights, and a stand for $200. My plan is to do a pool filter sand substrate, some large rocks and drift wood, and live plants (mostly Rhizomes). I wanted to stock it with the following and wanted to know if everything would get along and if parameters would work:

2 Ropefish
3-4 Dojo Loaches
2 Blue Acara
2 Geophagus Tapojos
3 Firemouth Cichlids
8-12 Congo Tetra
8-12 Odessa Barbs

MonsterGar

Although the tank is large, firemouths are aggressive fish, especially towards other cichlids, and mixing them with other cichlids might cause some aggresion problems. The Geophagus might be fine.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

Potential for aggression/predation as above. Also, dojo loaches and odessa barbs prefer cooler temps than the others as far as I know. I don't know what is called a ropefish.

Upvote 0

MonsterGar

Ya, I forgot to say about predation as well. Adult firemouths might be able to eat the odessa barbs, and if the congo tetras are not adult then the firemouths might be able to eat them too.

Potential for aggression/predation as above. Also, dojo loaches and odessa barbs prefer cooler temps than the others as far as I know. I don't know what is called a ropefish.
Reedfish - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

veggieshark

Oh, it is a bichir. I think, even though peaceful towards sizeable fish, they will eat the smaller ones given the opportunity. However, I don't have much experience with them.

Upvote 0

MonsterGar

Oh, it is a bichir. I think, even though peaceful towards sizeable fish, they will eat the smaller ones given the opportunity. However, I don't have much experience with them.
They aren't like other bichir species. In the wild the are complete scavengers, and food must literally touch it's nose before it eats. Only time they will eat other fish is if the fish is laying on the bottom on it's side and is already dying. They are also very personable, and they will often become very friendly with their owners, even eating from their owners hands. Although they are relatives of bichirs, they are almost nothing like bichirs at all.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

In the link you gave it says "They will often consume other smaller fish when given the opportunity.[9]". Given that it can grow up to 15", I would be concerned. But, I don't have experience with these guys. If you have seen them as you described, that is great, I want one myself.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Delcos
Replies
Views
SamMe
Replies
Views
BVUBeavers