New Tank Setup

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Hamifish, Jul 21, 2015.

1. H

Hamifish New Member Member

Hi there, new to the forums. Glad to meet you all.
    I have done extensive searching but just need some backup before I go adding my fish to my new tank.

I have just set up a second hand fish tank, 200L, I seeded the tank with a piece of driftwood tanken from my exsisting tank, and around 5kg of washed second hand substrate added into my 20kg of new rocks. It currently has 6 plants living in the tank and no fish. I have had the tank running around 2 weeks now. I just aquired a nitrite test kit and returned a reading of 0ppm same as my ammonia test - however i don't own a nitrate testing kit so im unsure on these levels.
    I haven't done any water changes on the tank since set up, and this is the first time I have done a nitrogen cycle.
    I am wondering if it's safe to start adding my fish from my existing tank?
    Cheers, Hamish.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You should be cycled so yes, I think it's safe to add the fish. Just monitor water parameters for the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    While the tank has been running with no fish for two weeks have you been adding an ammonia source?

4. OP
    OP
    H

Yeah I sure have, I've been adding in fish flakes every 12-24 hours. I did have an ammonia reading around 0.50 on the third or fourth day, but haven't gotten a reading since.
    Should I do a water change before adding the fish?

5. Coradee

That's good, then it does sound like you're probably cycled.
    Yes, you can do a water change & can start adding fish, add fish slowly & keep monitoring your water

6. OP
    OP
    H

Awesome, thanks for the speedy responses guys!
    My final question is in what order I should move my fish over.
    I currently have;
    5 Neon Tetras
    3 Rummynose Tetras
    1 Molly
    1 Kribensis
    1 yoyo/pakistani Loach
    and 1 bristlenose catfish.

Thanks again for the speedy responses and great community, I'll be sticking around :)

7. Coradee

Are you moving all the fish from a smaller tank to the new one?

8. OP
    OP
    H

Yeah the fish are currently in a small, 10 gallon, tank which i've had around 6 months. I'm taking all the fish over to the new, 50 gallon, tank.

9. Coradee

In that case if you move the filter from the 10 into the new tank or take the media from that one & put it in the new filter you can move all your fish across at once as the bacteria in the cycled 10 gallon filter can already handle the bioload of the fish you have.
    Monitor the water & when you add new fish do it slowly to allow the BB to adjust to the extra bioload.

10. OP
    OP
    H

Okay cool, I can't remove the filter from the smaller tank as it is inbuilt, but i can move the media over to the new tanks canister filter.
    Should I dispose of some of the filter media i need take out of the canister to fit in the old media?

11. OP
    OP
    H

The new

And the Old.

12. Coradee

If you need to take some media out of the new filter to fit the old in then yes take some out.
    The new tank looks good & the fish will appreciate the extra space :)

13. OP
    OP
    H

Thanks a bunch, you've been a great help.
    I'll get onto moving my fish!
    Thanks again.

14. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to the forum. Alison

15. OP
    OP
    H

Thanks ali.
    So my tank has been stable for 2 days now, with still 0 ammonia and nitrite readings.
    I was wondering if it would be safe to start adding new fish in, or if I should wait a few more days?

16. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yep go ahead I think it should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice