New tank setup

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by matts20891, Jan 5, 2013.

1. matts20891Valued MemberMember

Hi guys

Here I go again with another possibly slightly weird query. The instructions for a new tank I bought (aqua one regency 80, 180L) have a note on them saying it is important to keep the styrofoam layer on the bottom of the aquarium when placing it onto the stand. My tank did not come with this layer on it.

I have already placed the tank on the stand (with nothing under it) and it slid on pretty well, which indicated to me that it was a comfortable and even fit. In addition to this I already placed the substrate in it and it is approximately half full of water already. The only reason I noticed this message was because the instructions varied in a couple of other ways, saying there was meant to be other parts to go with the tank which I also did not have. After a discussion with aqua one we determined the instructions were a bit off and my particular tank did not come with these parts. Unfortunately I forgot to mention this missing layer between the aquarium and the stand.

Has anybody else owned one of these tanks or can offer other insight? Is there a real issue with not putting anything between the tank and the stand? Could it be just another variation with the instructions?

2. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Let me preface by saying I am unfamiliar with that manufacturers tanks so this is purely speculation. A layer of styrafoam is very unlikely to have anything to do with the structural stability when your taking about or 400 lbs of water alone imo. Maybe the instructions said that so you don't scratch the stand when placing the tank? I'm not sure.

3. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Depending on the tank, styrofoam may or may not be required.
    For a complete glass edged tank (i.e. no trim), styrofoam is used to absorb the imperfections in the stand, particularly wooden stands. It also helps level out the aquarium. Small imperfections can put pressure on the glass, which over time can result in the glass cracking.

For tanks that have a trimming, particularly those with corner trims, where the whole pane or edge is not on the stand, styrofoam is generally not required.

My Aqua One 20G has corner trims, and no foam under it. My reef tank is all glass, no trim, and I have styrofoam under it.

Looking at the instructions for the Regency 80, I would think that aquarium should have some foam under it (wooden stand and all glass edges). Best to consult with Aqua One though.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. matts20891Valued MemberMember

Your right Ryan it does have all glass edges and a wooden stand. I've been trying to get hold of aqua one but they are quite slow in getting back to me, hopefully ill hear from them later on today though.

Would you agree with the logic of Matt B in that the tank isn't quite big enough to need styrofoam? Those instructions just make me wonder how correct they are, as its already been established they aren't designed specifically for my tank..

5. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Not necessarily. For my own piece of mind, I'd put foam under it.

You're still talking 180L, 180kgs, of pure water (SW is heavier again), plus sand, rock etc. You'll be talking 220kg's (allowing for displacement of rock) just in the tank, plus the tank itself. The smallest imperfection could result in disaster. For piece of mind, if it were me (and given the instructions indicated it), I'd put styrofoam under it.

6. matts20891Valued MemberMember

Alrighty then. Does it matter what type? And how thick does it need to be?

7. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Just go to Bunnings (maybe), or a craft shop, and about 5mm styrofoam. If they don't have it, try a LFS (they'll use it a fair bit)

8. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I didn't even notice I was in the SW section. Sorry salties, ignorant fw guy now exiting. ;)

9. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

:giggle:
    Even FW, I'd still put foam underneath ;)