New tank setup questions

1. Mossyoakwoods Initiate Member

Recently bought a new 15 gallon tank set up. So I made the mistake of not cycling the tank..... I know I'm stupid. So the old lady put fish in it and I'm stuck thinking about what to do ! A few fish are dying. My tank levels are all zero soooo don't get why they are dying. Added that bacteria in a bottle
    Need help anyone have imput ?? Like using an old filter from my tank to help keep things under control ??

2. Mollyluv Member Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!
    Firstly, you should definitely read up on the nitrogen cycle. This converts the toxic ammonia in your tank to nitrites, and then nitrates. Just because your levels (or parameters) read zero doesn't mean that everything is perfect.
    Do you use test strips? They are usually inaccurate. If you can, You might want to buy an API master test kit. They're a bit pricey up front but provide much better results and last a lot longer.
    Have you owned any tanks before?
    What type of fish do you have? How many?
    What brand of "bacteria in a bottle"? Some work better than others. I recommend Tetra Safe Start+ (aka TSS) or Seachem Stability.
    Do you use a water conditioner?
    How old is your tank? What filter?
    Sorry about all the questions, it would be nice to have more information to go off of so we can help you more. And you're not stupid, we all make mistakes. Goodness knows I've made plenty.

3. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

The readings you should be doing are
    -ammonia
    -ph
    -nitrite
    -nitrate
    So the phrase "they're all zero" while doing the correct tests (these) is impossible.
    Ammonia and nitrite should be zero ph depends on what's in the tank, nitrate should be less than 40 in freshwater and less than 5 in salt water.
    Please explain the situation with a possible other filter like
    -does that tank have two filters?
    -is that tank the same size?
    -does that tank have removable filter media?
    Also as the last person asked what did you use for bacteria?

4. Mossyoakwoods Initiate Member

I have a full vile test kit for all the above oh is 7.6 and all others are reading 0 for Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
    The tank is brand new two days ago
    I conditioned water with aqueon water conditioner
    Top fin bateria supplement

5. littleredridingmech Member Member

Did you check high range ph? 7.6 is as high as the regular ones go to.

(Is full vile an autocorrect of Fluval?)

6. Mossyoakwoods Initiate Member

Api full range testing kit ( non strips )
    I'll check the high ph now

7. Mollyluv Member Member

Did you check the high range pH?