New tank setup opinions please!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by ashleighh28, Jul 2, 2016.

1. ashleighh28

ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

2. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

Love it! Happy to see a betta owner with a proper set up and good filtration. Perhaps add a piece of driftwood and tie some anubia Nana or java fern. There is a dollar per gallon sale at Petco until July 17, if you have room you can buy 20 long aquarium and split the tank into 2,3 or 4 sections that way u can have 2 to 4 betta.

3. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

I have a fluval edge 23l I can't put a divider in, well I don't think I can.. Would love to keep more then one they're so beautiful. And I'm from England don't think they do Petcos around here.

4. A

Oops sorry! I love bettas especially for their colors and personality.

5. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

Ohhh his got a personality that's for sure. Always at the front of the tank showing off.

6. A

Lol- bettas are so overrated as beginner fish

7. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

I disagree. They're one of the easiest and least expensive fish to care for and they're more tolerant of a lot of beginner mistakes than most other fish.

8. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

I deffo disagree much more amusing then the platy and swordtail I previously owned .

9. A

Yes I agree that they are good beginner fish but a lot of people neglect them and add them to vases and fish bowls that aren't heated or filtered and less than 3 gallons. Of course there is also a good amount of people who keep bettas in 5+ gallons that are nicely planted.

10. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Them's fightin' words around here!;)

11. A

12. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Shall I ring the torch and pitchfork mob? Lol

Honestly, they survive a great deal of torture. Everything from unfiltered, no water changes, unheated, tea cups of death, huge range of water conditions, jumping out of the water (multiple times) onto the floor, over feeding, under feeding, children messing with the tank, multiple betta in the same tank (no divider), community tanks (even overstocked).

If there's a story that would turn the Fishlore betta keeper white, there's a survivor out there.

13. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Low fung suai

14. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBanana Valued Member Member

Love the openesd, it diesnt look emoty, but also doesn't look packed

15. A

Yeah but that's the problem! A good amount of people who buy betta only know those facts that bettas can survive terrible conditions thus they can now neglect them. People think, oh they don't need a heater, filter, a lot of care, and a big aquarium this is perfect. However bettas who usually live in poor conditions only live 1-2 years. So yes they can take a whole load but really that is what I'm talking about of how people don't really care. If you look at it like a dog or a human being people would care. Apply all those factors to whatever beloved animal and usually they will survive. We see animal cruelty where in dog farms dogs are crammed in cages where they walk on there feces and have many disease. They usually don't have fresh water, food, or air yet they still survive but only live a year or so in the horrible conditions. Humans can be starved live in crammed environments with out AC or a heater and live on minimal food(low class usually) yet they still survive. All I'm saying is everything has a minimal state which it can survive but there is a better life out there and as a pet owner whether it is dogs, cats, rodents, birds,reptiles, livestock, or fish we should always want our animals to be at its best. So yes they do survive a great deal of torture but make sure you bold or underline the word torture because torture does not mean providing the best environment. Humans and other animals can also survive a great deal of torture yet as humans we see that torture is cruel yet when we come to the aquarium or the betta fish specifically people seem to forget that all those necessities that they've taken away is torturing the fish.

16. Grimund

Alphonsus - while I don't justify the acts, you have to compare apples to apples. The betta has adapted to survive these kind of conditions in the wild, as it's a great potential for happening. There's a reason they are quite the hardy fish.

17. A

True but you want your fish to thrive not just survive!

18. Grimund

Ideally, yes, but the betta offers the best possible survival for beginner mistakes, like all those listed.

19. Aludar

Aludar Valued Member Member

I like it, maybe another plant or two.

20. Pastel.Fish.

Pastel.Fish. Valued Member Member

Your betta and the tank setup are beautiful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice