New tank set up How Do I 

Britters_11

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello I've been reading a lot from this site and have a few questions if anyone can help me. I have a tank 50 G tank that is doing great with tropical fish, I would like to add a few plants any really good kinds? Also my mom after seeing my tank is anxious to start her own, Instead of waiting two weeks for the water to cycle is there a product you can just add to the water? She mostly wants angelfish. One last question, I bought two snails and with in 2 days there is 4 baby snails in my tank!! can they really reproduce that fast!?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore!

I have heard you can use pure ammonia but not 100% sure if it speeds things up that much. Do you have old media from your established tank? If so, putting it in the new filter will help a bit or maybe extra substrate from your established tank? Other than that...this really isn't a hurry up and go hobby which if you have a setup already, you are well aware of

As far as the snails....good luck lol. Try to pick em out if you don't want to keep em. Other than that there are quite a few snail eaters on the market(clown loach that I know of). Other members should drop in and give you some better tips than I have as well so stick around for a bit

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore Britters_11

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome

rae64

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to FishLore!

If you are considering plants.... GO FOR IT! I have some in my 29 gallon, and they are fabulous. For beginning plants look into low-light ones such as java fern, java moss,anubias nana, water sprite, and amazon swords. These are readily avaliable and grow like weeds! If you do a search for low-light plants, there are lots to choose from, these are just some of the most easy to get. A supplemental fertilizer (either tablets or drops) will really help them along. Plants are a beautiful addition, and I would highly recommend them

As far as a product you can add to the water to speed up the cycle, there is something called "Tetra SafeStart". Somewhere on the forum there is a thread called "Q&A With Tetra SafeStart" that I would reccomend that you read. The stuff works great (I used it to cycle my 29 gallon) but it is easy to mess it up. Once your mom gets her stocking list together, I would suggest choosing a few of the hardiest fish in her tank to help the SafeStart work. Even though technically you are supposed to be able to add all the fish at once, it is much better to add them a few at a time. The thread I listed above will help you with understanding exactly how the product works.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any more questions! We LOVE questions here

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Livebearer snails like ramshorns and Malaysian trumpet snails can reproduce very rapidly. A snail population explosion is caused by overfeeding fish; cut back on the number of feedings and the amount fed and the snail population will level out. You can place a lettuce leaf, cucumber slice or zucchinI slice in the bottom of the tank at night. The snails will flock to it and then you can throw them away the next day. However, snails are actually beneficial, so the best way to control their population is to control their food source.

-Lisa

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Plants will help keep nitrogen levels down, and as a result will keep the algae levels down.

As explained in other threads, I've cycled tanks using black tetras (aka black skirt tetras). I would start with no more than one fish per ten gallons absolute maximum until it cycles. Adding some plants immediately may also help to keep the nitrogen levels down and help keep the tetras alive.

Regarding plants in your established tank, go for it. Keep in mind that many fish eat plants, so you might want to start with some tough grasses. Also keep in mind that plants grow, so don't max out your tank right away.

If your tank is running well, you can let her borrow a decoration to kickstart the bacteria growth.

Once she has had the tank for a month, then she can start bringing in the angels (which can be aggressive).

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to the forum!
I am not experienced on live plants, but I can tell you about another product that has great review: Bio-Spira. Google for info, althought I have read that tetra Safestart works great IF you follow exactly the instructions on how to use it. About snails, I have 2 Mystery snails and I love them. I was concern about the prolification that lots of people seem to have to face, but like a previous post mentioned, the key is DO NOT overfeed, and I have also read that temperature plays a part, so if you don't want babys, DO NOT OVERFEED and DO NOT KEEP THE TANK TOO WARM! I was advised that if they are going to put eggs, they will place them above the water, on the hood of the tank, so if you find some, just scoop them out. Don't wait until things get out of control and good luck!!

Britters_11

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks everyone! All the advice has really helped. My new plants look great and the fish seam to like them. I ended up taking some water from my tank and added it to my moms new one, we also bought a product that is supossed to help balance every thing out. I have her convinced to wait on buying the bigger fish for a few weeks. We bought 5 guppies and two frogs instead, so I hope it works out for her.

No new snail babies in the past few days, I really like them and would feel terrible getting rid of them. So I think I'll use the idea above and put in some lettuce at night time and pick the babys out and move them to our out side coy pond.

Thanks again everyone, I am so happy to have found this site!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads