New tank set-up Question

1. bruiser Member Member

Hey, I'm getting a new to me 33 gallon tank up and running.. I know about the nitrogen cycle and all the steps from my smaller tanks.

This time I thought I would try to give it a little boost.. I pulled some filter media from my established 10 gallon.

I sandwiched the established media, between the carbon and the biomax bags in my aquaclear300.

How long should I leave that media in there to help get some colony grown in the new set-up??

Thanks again!

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Without an ammonia source to feed the bacteria, it will die.
    If using established media, you should add at least one fish the same day to feed the bacteria

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you put colonized media in your new filter, you need to either add fish immediately or add ammonia in order for the bacteria to live and grow. IME using even just a piece of old media is enough. In order for the bacteria colony to grow, there needs to be an excess of ammonia in the tank. Now, the trick is to not add too many fish or the colony will not be able to reproduce fast enough to neutralize the threat of ammonia poisoning. On the other hand, if you don't add enough fish, then the bacteria colony you transferred will starve and shrink.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I would add one small fish to help it along..I think pure ammonia might be too much...unless you go a drop or 2....a piece of media from a 10g tank going into a 33g tank, wont have a ton of bacteria unless you are severely overstocked in your 10g...

5. bruiser Member Member

Hey thanks for the advice, I guess I should have mention, i have 3 zebra danio's and 3 platy's in the 33g as of now. So I do have an ammonia source.

But thanks again!

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

yes you do :) just keep a close eye and if you see ammonia/nitrites, start your daily partial water changes