New Tank Set Up!

Lakemontfishlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Setting up a brand new 34 gal Hexagon Tank. I am going to add the fish from my 10 gal and 20 gal to the bigger tank. All female guppy babies yikes! When breaking down the 2 tanks if I use everything from those tanks and add to 34 gal tank, filter, decorations, plants, substrate will my tank still have to cycle? I would love to just eliminate 2 tanks at once, is that possible?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your going to use the filter(media) from the old one and not add more fish in the start, you don't have to cycle again.

TRAILRIDER

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am brand new here myself....but if you kept EVERYTHING the same, such as just lightly rinsing your filter media like you might do during a partial water change. Not changing out anything, even saving the water from your original tanks then setting it up. I would expect the tank to not go through much if any cycle. You would only have to cycle it if you used new water and new filter media. You are only transplanting one biological system from one place to another.
But there are experts on here who might disagree.

Lakemontfishlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
If your going to use the filter(media) from the old one and not add more fish in the start, you don't have to cycle again.
Thank you. I think I will just add the fish from the 20 gallon first, then after checking my water quality for a couple times then add the fish from 10 gal. I have about 12 young guppy, 2 Cory’s, 3 snail, 1 algae sucker in 20gal and about 10 young guppy, 1 Cory, one snail and small sucker in 10 gal. All were babies, getting bigger. Does that sound ok?

TRAILRIDER said:
I am brand new here myself....but if you kept EVERYTHING the same, such as just lightly rinsing your filter media like you might do during a partial water change. Not changing out anything, even saving the water from your original tanks then setting it up. I would expect the tank to not go through much if any cycle. You would only have to cycle it if you used new water and new filter media. You are only transplanting one biological system from one place to another.
But there are experts on here who might disagree.
Sounds good, Thank you! I started out with a 20 gal and now have 10, 20, 30 gal all because I thought it would be nice to have some home raised babies, haha. Trying to just have a 30 for males and 34 gal for females. Gotta keep those males away from the girls, I had so many babies and they all lived, gave about 50 and the two mamas to an aquarium store here, they were glad to get them.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lakemontfishlover said:
Thank you. I think I will just add the fish from the 20 gallon first, then after checking my water quality for a couple times then add the fish from 10 gal. I have about 12 young guppy, 2 Cory’s, 3 snail, 1 algae sucker in 20gal and about 10 young guppy, 1 Cory, one snail and small sucker in 10 gal. All were babies, getting bigger. Does that sound ok?
Sounds goodm I wouldn't wash the media btw

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would go ahead and move everyone over to the new tank at the same time as long as your are moving everything else. (deco, plants, substrate) Run both filters on the new tank. Transfer at all of the water from each tank too. The bacteria doesn't live in the water but it is the water both your fish and your bacteria are used to so they won't be shocked with all new water. They will just think they had a nice big water change.

Lakemontfishlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
Thank you, that is what I thought. I used same filter that was in 20 gallon but added fish from the 10 gallon too, maybe that’s why it is cycling again?

mattgirl said:
I would go ahead and move everyone over to the new tank at the same time as long as your are moving everything else. (deco, plants, substrate) Run both filters on the new tank. Transfer at all of the water from each tank too. The bacteria doesn't live in the water but it is the water both your fish and your bacteria are used to so they won't be shocked with all new water. They will just think they had a nice big water change.
Thank you...that’s my problem, I only am using one filter from 20 gallon. I already cleaned and put the other filter away so probably won’t help to put it in now? I do have a whisper jet filter with a used insert, maybe I could used to for a while, what do you think?

Lakemontfishlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
75g Discus Tank said:
May you specify what kind of “sucker” you have? There are many species that are commonly called this.
Otoocinclus Catfish. Great eater for algae on glass and live plants.

Lakemontfishlover said:
Thank you...that’s my problem, I only am using one filter from 20 gallon. I already cleaned and put the other filter away so probably won’t help to put it in now? I do have a whisper jet filter with a used insert, maybe I could used to for a while, what do you think?
I am so surprised I left that one slip by me, I was so concerned on making the transition an easy one for the fish I missed a step, Thanks again!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lakemontfishlover said:
Thank you, that is what I thought. I used same filter that was in 20 gallon but added fish from the 10 gallon too, maybe that’s why it is cycling again?
It should have just been a mini cycle since you used everything but the one filter you had on the 10 gallon. Hopefully you kept all of the filter media since that is where the majority of the bacteria live.

Are you still seeing ammonia and/or nitrites in the newly set up tank?

sounds like a very good idea but only if it has already been running in a cycled tank. If it has been allowed to dry out there won't be any living bacteria on it but the extra surface area will give the bacteria a place to grow.

Lakemontfishlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
It should have just been a mini cycle since you used everything but the one filter you had on the 10 gallon. Hopefully you kept all of the filter media since that is where the majority of the bacteria live.

Are you still seeing ammonia and/or nitrites in the newly set up tank?

sounds like a very good idea but only is it has already been running in a cycled tank.
I am seeing Nitrites, Nitrates a tiny bit like butterscotch color and ammonia slightly elevated. The second Fluval that was in the 10 gallon too I only rinsed the 2 inch thick foam pad but not the rings or charcoal, also this Filter is smaller. I put it in now for a couple weeks. Your the best, Thanks.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
And what kind of cories do you have?

If you are upgrading the tank, I would recommend fine sand as the substrate, add to the shoal of cories to get to 6(same kind. Ex: 6 emeralds would work but 3 emeralds and 3 peppered will not work), and add some otos(depending on the kind of cories you have)

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After I signed off last night I got to thinking about this. If your mini cycle has not yet worked itself out I am wondering if it is because there isn't enough surface area in the one filter for the necessary bacteria to grow on.

The bacteria should grow very quickly in a tank that has cycled. Since you moved the cycle over to this tank it should very quickly establish itself. I don't know the exact amount one should expect to grow or exactly how quickly but have read that once established it can double the size of the bacterial colony withing 24 hours. Someone Please correct me if I am wrong about the timeline.

This new tank should have grown enough bacteria to process the extra ammonia produced by the extra fish from the 10 gallon tank within a couple of days and after that you shouldn't be seeing any ammonia or nitrites. Hopefully by adding the smaller filter the tank will have more media for the bacteria to attach to and this mini cycle will soon be history.

Please keep us updated. We all learn by both successes and those that aren't quite as successful. I am hoping this will be a success story.

Lakemontfishlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
75g Discus Tank said:
And what kind of cories do you have?

If you are upgrading the tank, I would recommend fine sand as the substrate, add to the shoal of cories to get to 6(same kind. Ex: 6 emeralds would work but 3 emeralds and 3 peppered will not work), and add some otos(depending on the kind of cories you have)
I have two Albino Corys, one just go over being very sick and lost his mouth feelers turned Snow White, treated him for bacteria and he’s getting his color back, also 2 ottos. Tank is already up with a fine substrate, I thought about using sand but didn’t follow through with it. Thanks for your interest.

Lakemontfishlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
After I signed off last night I got to thinking about this. If your mini cycle has not yet worked itself out I am wondering if it is because there isn't enough surface area in the one filter for the necessary bacteria to grow on.

The bacteria should grow very quickly in a tank that has cycled. Since you moved the cycle over to this tank it should very quickly establish itself. I don't know the exact amount one should expect to grow or exactly how quickly but have read that once established it can double the size of the bacterial colony withing 24 hours. Someone Please correct me if I am wrong about the timeline.

This new tank should have grown enough bacteria to process the extra ammonia produced by the extra fish from the 10 gallon tank within a couple of days and after that you shouldn't be seeing any ammonia or nitrites. Hopefully by adding the smaller filter the tank will have more media for the bacteria to attach to and this mini cycle will soon be history.

Please keep us updated. We all learn by both successes and those that aren't quite as successful. I am hoping this will be a success story.
Thank you, I added Special Blend to the filter for more bacteria. Watching everything very close testing daily and taking out about 25% of water trying to keep ammonia and nitrites at bay, so worried about them. Nitrites still showing but Nitrates looking better. I have another 35 gallon hexagon with all males in it and using Fluval filter also for up to 50 gallons so hoping new set up goes through mini cycle soon, fingers crossed.

75g Discus Tank said:
I would up the oto and Cory shoals to 6+ each and keep the tank at 72-74 so all of the fish can be happy.
In the new 35 gallon I have about 23 half grown female guppies, 3 mystery snails, 2 Nerite snail, 2 Cory’s, one Otto, do you think that is too many for tank?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With the female guppies, it could be too much.

I would try to rehome some as some of the older females may still be storing sperm and have a new batch of fry.

Lakemontfishlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
75g Discus Tank said:
With the female guppies, it could be too much.

I would try to rehome some as some of the older females may still be storing sperm and have a new batch of fry.
Not worried about more fry as these are all new baby females, gave mamas to pet shop. They are half grown now but may have to rehome as they get bigger, just getting their color. How many total fish would you say for 35 gallon hexagon tank including all the clean up crew?

Lakemontfishlover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Day 3 of the change over from 2 tanks 10 & 20 gallon to a 35 gal hexagon. Still in the mini cycling . Nitrites are still light purple, Nitrates ok, ammonia is slightly green. I added some Prime to help lower the readings some. Pet store guru told me not to do a 10% change until tomorrow then add a maintenance amount of Special Blend (bacteria) to the filter at 15mm. Fish seemed to be hugging the surface water so I added another areator, now they are swimming more in the middle. Boy I hope this doesn’t turn bad for the little girls.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom